catfish laying on its side..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocstar629

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a catfish (not sure what kind) it started laying on its side and not moving for long period's of time and then it will get startled (by tapping on the glass etc.) And then swim around sporadically for a few seconds so fast you can barely see it and then return to a vegitative like state.. I don't know what I should do.. help!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110408_223018.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110408_223018.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 708
That looks like my peppered cories. With the picture and your description, that's what mine do. Let me take another look at the picture real quick.

It has been kind of tilted.. I have 2 of these and usually they stay together and chill at the bottom hidden. Now this one is out in the open and tilted on its side. Also it seems to be working harder to breathe than usual. They other cat is acting fine..

In the picture it wasn't tilted very much.. but during the day today he was tilted much more towards his side.

Thanks for the concern anyways. If it is not acting ok by morning I will get a test kit for the water and find out what is up. Also do you feed your cats anything special? The lady at the fish store said they would eat scraps at the bottom. Are they getting enough food?

rocstar629 said:
Thanks for the concern anyways. If it is not acting ok by morning I will get a test kit for the water and find out what is up. Also do you feed your cats anything special? The lady at the fish store said they would eat scraps at the bottom. Are they getting enough food?

They will eat scraps, but I also feed mine sinking bottomfeeder pellets.

Also, cories are best in groups of four or more. They are vey social fish.

Get the API liquid test kit if you can. It is by far the best. I need to get a new one myself. Test the water regularly even when fish aren't acting off.

Cories are kind of sensitive fish, and do well in an established and stable tank.

Hope I've helped.

Sadly he didn't make it. He was dead yesterday morning when i went to check on him. I am going to take a water sample to the fish store and if all is well i will be getting one or two more and some pellets for food. Thanks everyone for the help!

Sorry for your loss. Please get a liquid master test kit (i also recommend the API mater teat kit) and post the results so we can offer some advice to help keep your other fish alive.

That gravel in the tank is not good for cories. They lose their barbells quite often with sharp gravel like that. They do best with sand or pea gravel substrates. The fish in that picture looks emaciated. I'd say it wasn't getting enough food. Cories really should only be added to established tanks. They also do prefer to be in groups, 5 or more being best.

That gravel in the tank is not good for cories. They lose their barbells quite often with sharp gravel like that. They do best with sand or pea gravel substrates. The fish in that picture looks emaciated. I'd say it wasn't getting enough food. Cories really should only be added to established tanks. They also do prefer to be in groups, 5 or more being best.

That is true, but the barbel loss usually occurs because the cut barbels become infected and the resulting bacterial infection rots them away. That is, IME and the literature I've read.

Sorry to be so picky here. Just providing some info.

Thank you all for the the help. I don't think "established tank" is my issue... I had the tank for 3 months before adding any bottom feeders. And these Cory's have been in the tank and doing well for are least another 3 months. I have started feeding a sinking wafer and got API test kits for Ph and ammonia (they didn't have the master kit...) and my Ph was a little low but the ammonia was pretty high.. like 3.0 ppm or so. This was yesterday and I have done 2 partial water changes since so I will be checking it again in a few hours to see where it is. I can't figure out where my ammonia spike came from..

OK, I have a problem... after my peppered Cory died I started worrying about the water quality. My LFS didn't have the master kit so I bought API PH & Ammo test kits. I have had the water tested before several times since my Aquarium had been set up and it has always been fine. Now i am showing VERY high ammo tests show 2 - 3 ppm. I had been doing pw changes every day for 3 days and got it down to like .25. then i had to leave on business for a few days and now it is back up to 2 ppm. Not sure what to do! I think i may be over populated. I will give you my tank specs and then hopefully someone will have some advise.

I have a 10G with:

2 - Red Minor Serpae Tetra
2 - Cardinal Tetras
2 - Neon Tetras
1 - Peppered Cory
1 - Grey Cory
1 - Black Mollie
1 - Dalmation Mollie
1 - Unknown Mollie
3 - Glofish
1 - Snail

(Plants grew from bulbs from Wal-Mart)
1 - Hardy Aponogeton Plant
1 - Lily Plant

I would look around the tank and make sure you aren't missing a fish. That kind of ammonia seems like something died and is decaying.

I would look around the tank and make sure you aren't missing a fish. That kind of ammonia seems like something died and is decaying.

That is what I figured but all of my fish are alive and well. I can't figure it out! This tank has been set up for 6 - 8 Months and i have never had this issue. Any advice on how to get it down other than all the water changes? I'm afraid i am going to stress them out with the water changes... (can i do back-to-back water changes or should i stick to once a day? The only other thing i can think of is that i did change my filter cartridge about a week ago.. could that have gotten rid of the good bacteria?

That would explain it. Now the waste is causing the ammonia and not enough bacteria to convert it. Looks like you may be cycling with fish. Only option is to keep up with the daily water changes, if you dont have somewhere else to keep the fish while it cycles.

Forgot to mention the link in my signature. Lots of good advice from people alot smarter than me.

Thanks, I also noticed that my plants aren't looking too healthy.. that probably is causing some ammo as well. I will be doing two back to back changes tonight and then maybe i can get a handle on it. Do i need the test for nitrite and nitrate or can i just assume that if ammo is low that the tank is in good shape?

Back
Top Bottom