Certain fish immune to certain diseases?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
There have been many cases in which I had some disease outbreaks in my tanks. Once I had a columnaris outbreak in a 55, all my fish were affected except my rainbow fish. In a FOWLR, my Clownfish got Brooklynella and I left them in to treat the display, (something you should never do). My Firefish goby was completely healthy and eating well. A year ago a fin rot outbreak appeared in a planted tank and the small group of guppies were affected except the otocicnlus.

So I was wondering if there are fish immune to certain diseases.

Interesting question! I would think some fish are in the way that some people never seem to catch a cold. But also that some fish are very healthy and therefore don't have an issue. Also I have noted that fish within the same school will tend to catch the infection or parasites. I've had schools of fish infected with bacterial or white spot infections while other fish are unbothered throughout treatment.

I think it's more the opposite: susceptible vs immune. From what I've found over the years, certain fish are more susceptible to certain diseases than others and this is where the health of the tank will come into play. If a fish is in a tank where it is not stressed, it's less likely to be effected by a disease organism because their natural immune system will be functioning at a higher level. ( This is true of us and other animals as well.) What if you add another fish into that tank and the fish is highly stressed ( say, caused by the other tank mate), the stressed fish will come down with a disease while the non stressed fish won't ( or shouldn't.)
Fish are faced with diseases all the time but when they are healthy, they don't typically succumb to the disease. This is when they are referred to as carriers vs actually sick. Certain parasites are found inside all fish in the wild but the fish don't get effected by them because they are usually in small numbers and only part of the life cycle is inside the fish. Once the parasite leaves, the fish heals any wounds that the parasite might have inflicted. In a tank, the life cycle keeps repeating in/on the same fish because of a lack of choices of hosts for the parasites. In a tank, parasites can kill their hosts more so than in the wild typically. There are exceptions to this. Bacteria and fungi are present all the time in the wild and in tanks so it's only when the fish are stressed that they get "sick" from these things.
So as I said, not necessarily "immune", just in a better place to avoid getting sick. ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

There have been many cases in which I had some disease outbreaks in my tanks. Once I had a columnaris outbreak in a 55, all my fish were affected except my rainbow fish. In a FOWLR, my Clownfish got Brooklynella and I left them in to treat the display, (something you should never do). My Firefish goby was completely healthy and eating well. A year ago a fin rot outbreak appeared in a planted tank and the small group of guppies were affected except the otocicnlus.

So I was wondering if there are fish immune to certain diseases.
Certain fish immune to certain diseases?
I keep Platys and mollies. Mostly platys now.
Finding that most of my strains w white: Dalmatians and half-blacks succumb to diseases much faster than other strains. Sad because they are my favorites! I believe there must be some genetic component there. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom