Cherry barb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
My female cherry barb is very bloated in the stomach and no longer swims about the tank. She just remains hidden on the substrate. Water parameters are good. Males dont seem interested in her for breeding. Food diet is varied. Tropical flake, tetra prima, sinking pellets, algae wafer, freeze dried bloodworm and fresh brine shrimp. Any ideas please?

She could be constipated which can cause swim bladder disease. You could try feeding her a cooked and shelled green pea. This helps relieve constipation in fish. How are your water parameters? If you could isolate her to keep the males off of her, that would be great because I am sure the stress isn't helping her at all. :)

She could be constipated which can cause swim bladder disease. You could try feeding her a cooked and shelled green pea. This helps relieve constipation in fish. How are your water parameters? If you could isolate her to keep the males off of her, that would be great because I am sure the stress isn't helping her at all. :)
Tried the shelled pea cut into tiny bits. She wasnt interested at all. Shes not eating anything at the moment. Water parameters are good as stated above but ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 20ppm. The male fish dont harass her at all at the moment. Although she will be put back into isolation anyway now

Ah thanks for the responses but its too late, shes passed away. First fish ive lost. Id like to be able to identify the problem still for the future. She had like a white fungus covering the top of her body and had lost some of her scales?? Does this help

That would have been extremely helpful if you had mentioned the white fungus and missing scales in the beginning. You probably needed an anti-fungal medication administered and it would have cleared things up and she could have lived through it. :( Do you have a picture you could share, or is it too late? Watch the other tank mates to make sure that they aren't sick with it too. It's not usually contagious.

That would have been extremely helpful if you had mentioned the white fungus and missing scales in the beginning. You probably needed an anti-fungal medication administered and it would have cleared things up and she could have lived through it. :( Do you have a picture you could share, or is it too late? Watch the other tank mates to make sure that they aren't sick with it too. It's not usually contagious.
Last night she had no fungus or missing scales. I couldnt find her this morning. Went to work, came home and found her dead. I posted this post whilst i was at work to see if there was anything i could of done. No didnt think to take a photo sorry

Oh, okay! I thought that she was alive with the fungus and missing scales. When a fish dies, sometimes other fish pick at it, which explains the missing scales, and the white stuff you probably saw on her is the mucous coat that fish have. I'm sorry for your loss!

Oh, okay! I thought that she was alive with the fungus and missing scales. When a fish dies, sometimes other fish pick at it, which explains the missing scales, and the white stuff you probably saw on her is the mucous coat that fish have. I'm sorry for your loss!
Ive only been keeping fish like 3 months so i dont know the signs to look out for when infection hits. Thanks anyways. I'll learn through experiences like this

Back
Top Bottom