Cherry Barb Digestion Problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melners

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a small male cherry barb that after he eats, his body around his pectoral fins swells to an unnatural size. it's like he has a huge lump protruding from his side, sometimes both sides. I don't think I overfeed, but I do try to make sure every fish gets a few flakes. I feed once a day or two small feedings and everything always gets eaten. He swims and acts normal, and after a day or so he must poop it all out because he's back to normal size again.

I'm worried that his stomach is going to bust one day. I actually had a female I got at the same time that died a couple weeks after from something internal. She was lethargic and bloated one day, then the next day laying on her side on the gravel super bloated with red streaks and a yellowish tinge on the belly. I don't think it's related but worth mentioning.

Could this just be normal for him? Or a parasite or something that could cause such constipation. I never wait around to see him poop when he's bloated like that. Also, for a male cherry barb, he seems quite pale. I can see his shiny white-ish insides through his scales. Any advice? I have a few pictures where you can see the bloat. I hope I don't have to feed him peas and give him extra care for his entire life...

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

pcDsOQY

era6cCs

1oRhiub

Back
Top Bottom