cherry barb laying on bottom, and laying in plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxp123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The title is discribing her actions. She sometimes goes vertical for a while and tries to breathe air. Her stomache isn't swollen and she is swimming wierd. What's wrong?

Dude, you might have to wait a little longer than 45 minutes to get a response.

What are your water parameters? Temperature, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? How long has she been doing this. What does she do when she swims?

She swims side to side, she's been doing it for a week. She's really weak. 77 degree temp, 0 ammo, 0 nit, and 0 nat

We need to know a lot more before we dole out any advice!

If my fish was behaving that way, I'd be testing the water params like yesterday, and probably doing a PWC immediately regardless.

I've done all that coincidently. All i have is 5 ppm of nitrate.

Hi! Is she eating? It sounds like it may be a swim bladder issue if shes swimming funny & floaty. Though your description of her being weak makes me wonder if something else is going on. Is she new or any other fish new? You could try feeding her some plain cooked mashed peas (remove the outer shell) for a few days & see if this helps. If it doesnt, you should consider qt her & treating with a medicated food (metromeds) that will address any internal parasites or bacterial infections.

She's not eating at all. Thanks for the advice

Raised scales is one of the last stages of Dropsy.

At the stage she is in as of right now, it's uncurable.

The best thing you can do for her is to keep the water clean until she dies or put her down.

don't just flush her down the toilet if you do want to "end her", but instead do it the right way > Read this: Methods of Euthanasia

-- PHP

Im no stupid enough to flush her down the toilet. That's sooo inhumane

Theres a sticky on the proper way to euthansize a fish at the beginning of this forum on unhealthy fish. If you are able to qt, you could try treating her with antibiotics & hope for the best. Im sorry :(

Well, that definately means dropsy as stated above. I am sincerely sorry to hear of her illness. Humane euthanasia is the best route at this point.

This thread is by far the most comical out of all i have read on here. Bravo made me laugh for 5 min at least.

Back
Top Bottom