cherry barb with possible lip problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

Here's the pictures first:

sickbarb1.jpg

sickbarb2.jpg

sickbarb3.jpg

He has recently taken to the top of the tank (maybe 2-4 inches below the surface), and basically appears to just try to stay stationary. I did not see if he ate this morning or last night, but didn't have any concerns until today. His upper lip has a red color to it, but since my barbs are still young, I thought he was just developing color, but now I'm not so sure.

He doesn't appear to be gasping for air, but is breathing slightly quicker than the rest of the fish in the tank. I have a breeder cage that I could put him in, but don't want to stress him out more until I'm sure there is a problem. Recent additions to the tank are just 4 java ferns from the LFS I got the fish from.

Zero ammonia, nitrIte, and I havn't checked nitrAte yet today but will shortly (I assume it is below 30ppm as it was below 20ppm last week and I have done a PWC since then). My temp does fluctuate a bit during the night and day (from about 76 to 79 over the course of 24 hours), and just yesterday I have been slowly bumping the temp down 1 or 2 degrees every couple hours to get it closer to 73-75 (this should buffer the temp change a bit during the night hours).

Thanks all for your help in advance.

justin

Do you have a QT? It could be the start of something bacterial. I'd add some melafix to the water, in a QT if possible, and see if that helps any.

Also, is there a reason you are lowering the temperature? IMO, you'd be better keeping it at around 76-79, for the fishes sake. A 3 degree change isn't that much, and shouldn't affect your fish at all. They'd probably like you for the warmer temps anyways. :)

No QT tank as of now. He looked the same or slightly better this morning. He ate some of the flake food. I'll be keeping an eye on him.

The reason I lowered the temp was so that it could be kept more consistent. It currently drops a degree or 3 at night due the the house getting so cold. By lowering the temp in the tank, it should not change as much. It was 74.5F when I left this morning, but I'll see how it is on Wednesday when we're back to the normal temperature schedule (ie gone for most of the day with the heat off, and at night). I checked all of my fish profiles and they are still within range (72F seems to be the cutoff for the warmest requiring fish).

If the condition does not get better soon or takes a turn for the worse I'll get a small 2.5gallon QT tank up and running and dose meds. I'm hoping the little barb is just getting used to the new surroundings (the new background might make him think he's in a cave?)

Maybe. Also, little things like that can pop up, and then dissapear within a day or so. You just never know. I would be concerned if it started spreading, or keeping the fish from eating properly. Could just be one of those fish mysteries :)

Keep us updated.

UPDATE: 7am Wednesday

Last night the barb ate some more flake food. Woke up this morning and he was looking GREAT! His fins were again displayed out (they had been all tucked up while he was in the corner), and I found him swimming around and through the clay pot caves. Fed them this morning, and he ate some more food. I'm hoping he is back to normal this afternoon when I get home.

Could it have been constipation? I fed them peas 2 days ago, and I didn't see him eat any.

I saw last night and its still there this morning a long WHITE string that looked like possible fish waste. My one gold barb would eat it, spit it out, forget and eat it again, spit it out. I don't know if it was from a fish or something on my new plants that got pulled off the roots, but I'm worried it would tell me something about one of the fish (parasite? tapeworm?)

Back
Top Bottom