chinese algae eater cant swim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHZR2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I got a chinese algae eater at petco a few dats ago. The first one died overnight, while all other fish are fine. I got a new one for free, and he is not very active. He sits most of the time, and when he does swim, its like he can barely make himself go in the water, his fins are fluttering but he just kind of jerks along then stops. I am worried about him, and want him to eat my algae, or else (an this is totally mean and I dont want this at all) to die liek the other so I can get a proper replacement). I know my brother has a chinese and a gold algae eater, and both went right to work and cleaned the tank in notime.

Any ideas? My water checks out fine, I have a planted tank at about 78-80F.
thanks,

JMH

Well, if he doesn't survive... Don't get another. They get really big (10 inches), aggressive and are quite uninteresting... I'd advise going with a pleco, or an American Flag fish (which justDIY has, and really enjoys). I had some CAEs, and they were unpleasant. I returned them eventually, and got plecos instead. Check out this page for plecos and only buy ones that will fit your tank! You'll appreciate that advice eventually: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=837. Or get a Siamese Algae Eater...

But I'm not so adamantly against the CAEs to dismiss them entirely, and if you're having a problem, sort it out, rather than letting the poor guy die. And if he survives, you can return him to the store. :D

I assume by the "Water Checks out fine" sentence, you know about the Nitrogen Cycle. But, jut in case, let us know you water parameters (i.e. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). If you do know about the cycle, ignore the next paragraph...

Here's the inevitable question: did you cycle your tank before putting your fish in? If not, the CAE might be reacting most severely because he is at the bottom of the tank, where ammonia builds up preferentially. If you don't know about cycling, read up fast, because your other fish might die, too.

Have you noticed any diminution in his color/stripes? This is a major sign of ammonia poisoning, and you need to start doing water changes and adding Bio-Spira bacteria to jumpstart the nitrogen cycle.

Also, consider that CAEs can be fairly inactive since they are bottom dwellers (though I've seen them very active).

Let us know the answers to these questions, and we'll try to help some more.

Hi,

Yes, I cycled the tank, and the tank has been populated over a month since the start. There are 4 other fish (originals) and a red crab in there, all great.
His color is fine, and I have vacuumed the tank and done water changes a number of times. I even used biozyme after putting in the rest of the four other fishes, to ensure proper bacteria loading. My tank is filled with fast-growing plants, high aeration, and lots of water movement.
I have started adding melafix, in case the tank with the CAEs had some sickness (didnt see any deads).
My only question regarding plecos is that I understand they are a 'dirty' fish in that they contribute significantly to the bio load of the tank...

Thanks for your help,

JMH

one other thing I have noticed is that when he moves, he darts as fast as any algaer eater Ive ever seen, but at the same time his gills are moving really fast, as if he is out of breath (I noticed this when we got him in the bag, and thought maybe it was just that he was scared)

it is possible that he has a gill parasite or possibly got his gills burned by ammonia at the store. just a couple thoughts.

Just some thoughts about CAE's.
I bought a pair of em about a month ago. While on my way home, i observed them and their gills seemed to move preety quickly. When i finished acclimatizing them to their new tank, they quickly darted for a place to hide. A few days later, their breathing even scared me, sometimes they didnt even breathe for a few seconds.

From what i've studied, i know that theyre very easily stressed. But a few days and sinking wafers later, they both seemed aight.

Later I noticed they started growing, not much, just a lil. And one started chasing the other so i decided to put them in separate tanks. The one who went to my big tank started schooling with my flame tetras. LOL, they look so funny n' together. But every time i introduced a new plant or decoration piece, it didnt took him much time to get there and start doing his job.

The other one is still in the original tank and doing aight. I have no complaints yet about size, huinger or anything. Theyre nice.
Give him a week, make a water change and consider breaking a sinking algae wafer into some pieces and letting him eat one every 2-3 days, depending on your water changes. I see that they enjoy them a lot and that they wont overfeed. Looks like they know their limit. Theyll stop eating at some time and go to rest beneath rocks or decoration. Almost forgot! Give him lots of places to hide.

Best of luck
Pato

I must be the only person on earth, besides my boyfriend, who actually LIKES this fish. LOL We have a Gold Algae eater and both of us think he is way too cool! He goes to town on the algae in our tank, while our pleco is a lazy bum who just sits around and poops all day. I'll take more of the algae eaters before I'll get another pleco, that's for sure.

Our GAE is a bit on the territorial side but normally only at feeding time. He defends his wafers, which we drop in a couple times per week, against the lemon tetra and the gouramis who try their darndest to steal them. I know our GAE will get bigger, though, so we will move him to the 50gal when the time comes... but I think he's a cool little fish and he really does have a lot of personality! Not to mention, he is really a pretty color...

Sheila

If you have a lots of plant then pleco might not suitable cause they are very clumsy, and before you know all the plant will be flooting on top of your tank cause by the pleco.
I have that problem when i setup my tank but now evrythinig ok cause i have place the pleco to my gf's goldfish tank and add 3 Arnold's sucker fish (otocinclus arnold) to my plant tank. Fyi, Arnold grow to 2 inch max and it look like a CAE. But i know there is midget pleco than you can get from lfs, but you might have to pay quit alot cause they are bit exortic.

I like CAEs to.

I had hte same problem, Had two [ well, 3. One mysteriously up and disappeared never to be found, and nothing in the tank could have eaten him ], One started to get bigger and started chasing the other one around. Moved the smaller one to a smaller tank, left the big guy [ around 4 or 5 inches ] in the main tank. Hes a great guy, Gets along with everyone else and only gets moody when someone tries to take his shrimp pellets.

Other than that he darts around, and I agree.. they are strange breathers.

Going forever not to breath, only to " Gasp " and breath heavily for a bit, only to repeated again. Crazy fish!

Urg. Looks like I'm getting a bad rep for advising against CAEs. Well, so be it. They are neat fish when they're small, I'll grant that... I'm just trying to let people know what they're getting into. I'd give the same advice for somebody who recently bought a pacu or a Red Tail Catfish, both of which are great fish! It's just that thinking into the future with fish that get big and aggressive is key. You might really regret the CAEs eventually. The specimens at my LFS that are almost fully grown are pretty unpleasant, and look quite bland now.

But I'm not all doom and gloom...

When I bought my CAEs, they seemed to be hyperventilating all the time, and their color often changed. Seems to be a fairly normal thing.

You are perfectly entitled to not like them much. ;) I don't think anyone will think any less of you... We do like our little guy an awful lot, but I'm not sure I'd want a whole tank or anything. LOL And you are right an at least one account: these are probably not a fish for everyone.

Sheila

Back
Top Bottom