Cichild sitting in the bottom on the tank struggling to stay upright and dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A2A

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started an Africa Cichild tank, it's 30 gallons the I let the water cycle with conditioner for 1 1/2 weeks. I have air bubbles going and a rock set up with lots of caves. The filter is called sunsun filtration pump model number jp-044f it's good for up to 40 gallons. The temperature is set to 80 degrees and I have two thermometers that read that. The nitrite:0, nitrate: 20-40ppm ,pH is 7.6, ammonia:safe , GH & KH : 140-180. The store I got the fish from said the pH was between 7.4-7.8 (the owner said). I did the water test myself with a master test kit and then took a water sample today to both petco and petsmart. They both said everything was fine. The first day the cichilds where fine, I got 6 (mainly in pairs of the same kind). The next day one by one they started breathing heavy, swimming fast up to the top and dropping down into rocks and the sand. They would do a few barrel roll struggle to stay upright and then die. I did a 50% water change levels are the same but now I only have one left. Has anyone seen this happen before??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your tank is not cycled and its poisoning the fish. They will all die sooner than later, but it happens to many new fish keepers. Read about cycling your tank and what you can do now that you have fish in the tank already. Be prepared to do a LOT of water changes and purchase a water testing kit (not strips).

Okay thanks, is there a specific brand you recommend?

Your tank is not cycled and its poisoning the fish. They will all die sooner than later, but it happens to many new fish keepers. Read about cycling your tank and what you can do now that you have fish in the tank already. Be prepared to do a LOT of water changes and purchase a water testing kit (not strips).

Why not strips?

Sent from inside my fish tank

It's my first cichild tank. I've had other fish tanks and I currently have a 16 gallon community (for 6 month) that's runs just fine. Only a few cases of ick. I've always used strips so that's a great question. Why not strips??

strips aren't as accurate as liquid test kits.

sounds like your tank wasn't cycled. Ammonia reading should be 0. Test water daily, and do water changes as needed using Prime. Letting the tank sit with only water conditioner in it is not cycling the tank, you need an ammonia source.

get a sponge or piece of filter media from your other tank and squeeze it out into your new tank, then let it float in the water. Also you shouldn't be getting ick that often, I've only had it once in years. Check your water parameters and I would think about finding a new place to buy your fish locally

Back
Top Bottom