Cichlid acting strange?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshFD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1-The labeling at the store i picked the fish up from was "Black Belt Cichlid". I purchased 4 of them at once about 2 weeks ago. One now doesnt seem to eat very much and is hanging around a rock and or the surface of the tank by its self. And in comparison to the rest of its breed, it looks very pale in colour.
2~my tank perimeters are where they should be Nitrate is 0, ammonia 0, Nitrite is 0 and PH is 7.4
3~ tank is a 60gl planted and has been set up for just over 3 months.
4~Fluval 406 external filter
5~There are 13 fish in total, 1 Red tailed Shark 2 Polypterus, 4 Black belt Cichlids, 6 tiger barbs
6~Last did a water/gravel vacuum this pasted Saturday the 6th. I do 25-30% water changes every week.
7~Had the fish for roughly 2 weeks
8~Added a piece of drift wood with Java moss that i attached this pasted weekend.
9~I feed them a variety of food that i alternate every day, Aquon flakes, frozen blood worms and frozen plankton.
I feed them twice a day for two days in a row then once a day then continue twice a day for two days again. This just so happens to be what my schedule works out to at the moment.

What do you test your water with? Test strips are notoriously inaccurate. Most members here test with the Api Freshwater Master Test Kit. I got mine at my LFS for roughly $30.

I hate the be the bearer of bad news, but those fish cannot live long-term in a 60g. Black Belts can exceed 12" and would be more comfortable in a 75g.

What kind of Polypterus do you have? Senegalus would also be more comfortable in a 75+. But if it's a delhezi or an ornate you'll need a much larger tank.

I use the API but am more than positive i actually mixed one the the Nitrate and Nitrite bottles up in one of the test tubs. Will retest tomorrow morning.
Really eh? I have not been able to find any information on the black belts. Would you be able to send me a link on information regarding them? I have tried several times to look them up but have had no luck thus far.
Interesting that they get that large. I was assured that my current tank would be big enough. That said i have been planning on getting a 100-125gl within the next year or so.
The Polys i have are of two different species cannot recall what ones at the moment will look into that and post them with tomorrows water chem results(along with pictures assuming i can get the format figured out). I am aware they will require a larger tank as well, but all the fish i have currently are small (the polys are maybe 5-6" and the every one else is under 5 for sure) so i figured id have enough time to get a larger tank. Any thoughts on what could be bothering my one little Cichlid?

Thanks for the reply btw!

Cheers,
Josh

So i did a water test this morning and yes, i had done something wrong yesterday. The readings are Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate between 5-10ppm.
As for the polys, one is Barred Birchir and the other is a shortfin. But im not concerned with these guys at the moment. I was aware i needed a bigger tank and will do so in the future but currently im worried about my Cichlid.

Not sure if this is going to be a double post? Having some computer problems.
Just noticed that there is a white, almost translucent stringy poop trailing behind this particular fish. Is this a sign of parasite?

Thats what im thinking as well. I've started treating for that anyways. Increased the temp to 81-82 added API salt and API general cure. I'll see how the next week of this stuff goes and will post in the this thread the outcome.
Thanks.

So it has been 2 days since i finished the API General Cure treatment on the tank. My one Cichlid is still not doing well, has white stringy poop attached to him and still wont eat. Every one else in the tank seems to be doing just fine.
Im due for another water change today, and might look into a different form of treatment at my Petsmart. If any one has any suggestions they would welcomed! Im not sure how much longer this guy can go with out eating.

So just a follow up. I ended up loosing the fish unfortunately. It is my belief that i was just too late in adding the medication for him. But my one tiger barb who was showing similar signs is now fine. So it worked out for him.

Back
Top Bottom