Cichlids dropping one by one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkfarter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had fish for about 3 years now and thought I had seen every type of sickness fish could possibly catch but I was wrong. I lost two cichlids last week to what I can only describe as a flesh eating type virus. They're scales look rough and open soars soon develop. Also included into the mix is fin rot. I am every good about my 10 to 20 percent water changes weekly and cleaning the bed. I also use Rid-Ick, Salt, and other preventitive medicines to keep the tank healthy. Now I have noticed my large red hap has a bump on his tail-end just before the fin starts. I am having a hard time figuring out the problem. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

sounds like its bacterial based.. im not positive though.. To tell you the truth contant salt can stress fish out to the point of being suseptable to the nasty ones like this.. how much have you been using... I would try to ween them off of it if it were me. and using ridick or methane blue all the time is just as bad as salt all the time.. there not brackish water fish right? I know you havnt gotten any help on this one but I just joined like the 4th of this month I hope its not too late..

Back
Top Bottom