Cichlid's sick or lazy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up my first Cichlid tank two and a half days ago. I added three cichlids and one pelco to a fully cycled tank. They are not active at all. Sitting on the bottom behind a plant all day. All the levels in the tank are were they should be, at the lfs they were very active. They are not aggressive at all. Are they not adapting well to their new home or could they be sick? Day one I saw them eat, day two only two ate any thing, and today no luck so far. Any advice would be really helpful. Thanks

What kind of cichlids?, What size tank? Water parameters? Especially ph, if they are african rift lake cichlids, they will want hard, alkaline water.

What do you mean by fully cycled? Unless you used ammonia, Bio-Spira or another fish-less method of producing bacteria, the tank was not cycled if there were no fish prior to this addition.

More than likely, they are still adjusting to the tank. As long as you can get them to eat, they'll be fine. Soon they'll start establishing their territories, and thats when aggression will begin to appear.

What are you feeding them? When and how often?

By cycled I mean that this tank has been a home to four other fish for a year. They got moved to a large home. I changed out 50% off the water waited like for days then added the cichlids. They are small African guys. Not sure which lake. One is grey with black stripes, one jeweled, and one pale white with a rosy color towards the front. I feed in the mornings except the plecos they eat at night. I fist gave them wardley cichlid floating pellets. But the seemed to big for them and they showed no interest. So I went to Tetras freeze dried blood worms. They ate those the first and second day. I also tried some micro pellets which they also ate. But to they they seemed to just watch the food or ignore it. I have hard water and the alkaline was between 120 -180 closer to 180. They are in a a 10 gal tank right now but only use two square inches. Thank you for your help and also I really enjoy this site it is very helpful.

All of these fish grow to 4-6 inches. You need a minimum of a 29 gallon tank for this selection. By sitting the tank sit empty for 4 days, you likely did not have any of the previous cycle left. It dies off within about 24 hours of no food source.

The 10 is only a temp, home I have a fourty gallon that is soon to be the process of getting set up. I am glad to say though two of them are doing much beter Swimming around. I spoke to the owner of the lfs and he thinks that two are picking on the third. I think that they just needed more time. And I was wrong about the same water. They use well water so I think that played a part. Thank you for your help. I think I am some what of a worry wart.

ferret said:
All of these fish grow to 4-6 inches. You need a minimum of a 29 gallon tank for this selection. By sitting the tank sit empty for 4 days, you likely did not have any of the previous cycle left. It dies off within about 24 hours of no food source.

I had no idea that beneficial bacteria died off in 24 hours!

lreilly, good luck with your fish! I bet they will feel better when they are in a bigger home!

Actually....the beneficial bacteria in an established aquarium won't die off within 24 hours unless the tank is virtually sterilized. Even in a 'clean' tank there is enough fish waste and decomposing food in the gravel to keep the bacteria colonies alive for weeks if not months!

I thought that is would be ok for a couple of days. I guess I did it wrong. I just felt like with all of the plants in there like it was not empty. They are doing much better now,all but the one I returned because he did not improve and I did not want him to die for my faults.

Fruitbat said:
Actually....the beneficial bacteria in an established aquarium won't die off within 24 hours unless the tank is virtually sterilized. Even in a 'clean' tank there is enough fish waste and decomposing food in the gravel to keep the bacteria colonies alive for weeks if not months!

Yes that make sense. If fish lived in a tank for a year, it would be fine for a few days. That makes me feel beter...

Back
Top Bottom