Clamped fins on young pygmy cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just brought 6 of these guys yesterday, the other 5 seem to be ok, still getting used to the move, but this one hides and his dorsal fin and tail are clamped. Is there anything i can do about this? No other noticable symptoms... But i dont hwve any previous experience with cories... Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have you tested your water and if so what are the exact parameters? How did you acclimate them to the tank? Sometimes it happens; if the others are doing well and your water paramaters are good (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, <20 nitrate) and you acclimated them slowly it might just be stressed. Give it a few days and see if it settles in.

Acclimatising them was kind of tricky... When i got home from the store, it turns out my heater isnt very powerful, and the water at 55 farenheit. And the poor fish had already been in their bags for at least an hour... Andi didnt want to freeze the little guys, so i stole my big heater from my main tank ( freezing the current fish ) and..,. Anyway, it was a stressfull day for all involved. I hope he improves overnight!

Acclimatising them was kind of tricky... When i got home from the store, it turns out my heater isnt very powerful, and the water at 55 farenheit. And the poor fish had already been in their bags for at least an hour... Andi didnt want to freeze the little guys, so i stole my big heater from my main tank ( freezing the current fish ) and..,. Anyway, it was a stressfull day for all involved. I hope he improves overnight!

How's he doing today?

Well, he seemed to be doing better last night, swimming around a lot more, but today he seems to be doing it again... But he is still alive, which is more than id hoped. Every one else is doing fanstastic... But they dont seem interested in eating at all, which concerns me. But ill give it a few days before i start freaking out. I think the platy is enjoying not having any competition. I just hope he isnt violent toward my other 2 males. I have to give my qt to my sister for a hampster so... Hopefully no quarantining will be necessary.

Do you think (she? Il call it she for now) might be ''with eggs''? There are 2 of the cories that seem to be a bit bigger than the others. But i really camt figure out their sex. When she does swim all fins perk right up, not clamped at all, and she swims normally, not acting sick. Then she'll get tired and goes back to the bottom again. No other signs of illness, ammo <.25, 0 nitritite, and minimal nitrate.

What are you feeding them?

I have no idea about pregnant cory's, although it's possible. If it's larger then it is probably female (some info here). Maybe post on the Breeding forum and see if anyone else has had experience with pregnant corys? Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ive put in some sinking shrimp pellets, and the omega one flakes that are mainly for the platy, hes getting pretty fat since i put in extra hoping the cories will eat. Dont want them to starve :(

Back
Top Bottom