Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I will say I feel bad not going with what I felt was right instead of what I wanted...

Old 09-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #12

You had conflicting info and you did what you thought was right (and when in doubt lean towards what you hope is right). You are now doing even better by accepting that this was not right and handling it properly.

It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just like when they sold the baby turtles everywhere and said they could live their whole lives in those little plastic bowls. They could and did, because their lives were only a few weeks because of poor care and diet. If we decide that oscars don't outgrow 55s and say that is big enough then we will never see oscars that are too big for 55s.

There are MANY myths when it comes to goldfish (like how they are 'coldwater'), so they are even trickier.

What are you feeding?
Have you tested your tap water's nitrate concentration yet?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here are my test results tonight before a water change.

pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm? (rather subjective based on the color but more orange than red on the API color scale)

Nitrate from Tap: 5 ppm

I typically feed flake and pellets. I have Omega Goldfish Flakes and Premium Medium Pellets. I also have HBI Goldfish Discs, they're smaller so I use them for my Moor. Sometimes I feed Omega Shrimp Pellets to change it up a little, and then more rarely I put in a few frozen cubes of Brine Shrimp and Bloodworms.

I never heard of goldfish being trickier than tropicals. That's interesting.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #14

Trickier as in getting accurate info. There are a lot of myths and regurgitated misinformation out there, so figuring out what is actually right can be tricky.

I only feed and recommend New Life Spectrum. IME it is by far the best thing out there. It is all mine get and I have not had any issues (they don't get ANYTHING else, including peas).
Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh wow, that sounds good. That will definitely be what I get them once this is gone then. Is that what you would exclusively give tropicals, too? I did notice the difference of "Facts" about goldfish from different internet sites. I noticed the biggest sway in opinions was max length of them. I know some sites say Comets get 8"+ and others say 12"+ and that's quite a big difference.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #16

I feed NLS to all my fish and everything at the LFS I work at.

I don't know where some get their info. It could be whether they are measuring just the body or the total length. 12"+ is more accurate. IMO any long-bodied goldfish should have at least a 125.

Tags
ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com