Clarification on Ich Treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrown

Aquarium Advice Regular
First off - I read in detail the sticky "If you think you're fish have itch" - very good. Couple of questions though. I am using the heat (85 degrees) and salt treatment. Only one fish showed signs of the white spots, a black phantom tetra - new to the tank although it had been quarantined for 7 days. I guess not enough!. Anyway two days after heat & salt, all spots gone. Started treatment on Sept 18th. How long should I continue the heat & salt. Also, sadly, I lost two corydoras gossei I had raised. The sticky indicates corys may not do well with salt?? Do you think this is what killed them?
Second, if your tank is heavily planted and stocked with some tetras, what is the best treatment??

Any Ich treatment should last 10 days minimum, regardless of whether you see spots or not.

Yes, the salt most likely hurt your cories.

Don't throw salt into a heavily planted tank. In a case like that, heat and RidIch+ would work best.

We recommend continueing treatment for 2 weeks after the spots are gone. Also, QTing incoming fish for a minimum of 2 weeks will help.

Some cories do poorly with salt and others are fine. It may depend on the age of the cory and the overall health (and they're not talking!).

For a heavily planted tank with tetras, you can try the heat treatment only or also add salt. The plants will be stressed, but they do come back. It all depends on if you want to use meds or go with a natural solution. Keep in mind that the amount of salt added is minimal to increase the osmolarily to affect the ich parasite, but not the fish. I have added salt (premixed) to a planted tank and all was fine at the end of the month.

Back
Top Bottom