Cleaning a tank of fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquafriend

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a betta alone in a 10g tank, non-planted. He got a terrible case of fin rot, and also got that white fuzzy wool-like fungus on his body. I treated him with Jungle Fungus Eliminator, but he didn't make it. Now I'm worried about re-stocking the tank. I've done another dose of the same meds (on recommendation) to the empty tank, doing a 50% water change and thorough vacuuming first, but I'm wondering if that's enough. The filter is running, but has no media in it. In a couple days I'm going to get new carbon and foam (don't want to use the old stuff since it is probably contaminated), and remove the meds with the new carbon and a water change. Also, I'm going to put the foam in my cycled 20g first to seed it, and when I do the water change, I'm going to add some water from the 20g to help cycle the 10g tank. The tank was not cycled to begin with, when my betta was in it. It was only running for about a couple weeks when my betta got sick. I do want to put another betta in it, but I also want to add a couple cories and maybe some neons, so it needs to be cycled. If I do the above, will the tank be safe for new fish? I don't know if the second dose will do the trick, and I don't want to infect any new fish. Thanks for any advice.

I'd use bleach (pure bleach, no soap) on everything - then rinse LOTS, plus a final rinse with a heavy dose of dechlor to get rid of the bleach. The bleach will kill all your good bacteria, but you are going to reseed your filter anyway.

I will not trust any fish med to disinfect a tank - esp. when the fish didn't make it - a sign the med didn't do its job!

Read this thread on cleaning an old tank for more details & some diff. views.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=24847

OK, and the other question I forgot to add was, I used one of my nets to remove the betta after he died, should I replace the net? I wish I could remember which net, but I was upset and just did the job. So I'd need to replace all my nets...... Also, my plants in that tank are fabric/silk. Will the bleach rinse out of them properly, or just kind of 'soak in'? I've done it with plastic, but not fabric. Thanks for your time.

should I replace the net?
No. Just fill your kitchen sink a bit with some water, add a little bleach and stir. Throw your nets in for a while. Drain the sink and rinse the nets for a while. Then put more water into the sink and add dechlor. Throw the nets in with a little more dechlor..

Will the bleach rinse out of them properly, or just kind of 'soak in'?
It would rinse them out properly. It would be like doing laundry. In that light though, you'd have to consider that the bleach may make the colors fade or even turn them white...

why not just get a new net? becase here their like 30-90 cents for a decent sized net? ud prolly spend more on the bleach

net(s)
And they are 3 bucks a piece around here except tiny guppy catchers.
Not to mention that 90 cents is a cheeseburger! I doubt a whole $3 jug of bleach would be used or even a dollars worth.

Yes, the nets are expensive in my town, too (you're lucky, krap101!), and since I can't remember which net I used to get the betta out, I would have to replace all my nets. I know, I should probably have separate nets for each tank, or get that net dip stuff, but I didn't do it. Live and learn. After I bleach the nets, I will separate and label them for their own tanks. Thanks for the advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom