Clear Poop Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering if i use an anti parasite medication in my tank and someone lets out a long stringy clear poop, does that mean the meds are working?

Yes, its normal to see some strands of clear poop while treating with parasite meds. Is everyone ok???

jlk said:
Yes, its normal to see some strands of clear poop while treating with parasite meds. Is everyone ok???

I hope so. Everyone is totally normal except I found a stringy white poop so I treated with prazi just to make sure and after I did someone let out a loooooong string. Everything is great waters perfect, tank is clean, its like someone just got sick. I don't know I just don't want anyone to come down with a major case.

Just make sure you do a full course of the prazi. Seeing a long strand of clear poop while using it is normal. Good luck!

jlk said:
Just make sure you do a full course of the prazi. Seeing a long strand of clear poop while using it is normal. Good luck!

What is a full course? The prazi I have says 1 teaspoon for every 10 gallons. If parasites persist reuse 2 days later.

Thanks!!

Hmm... not quite sure what you have but I would treat for a full 5-7 days. I use Prazipro when needed- you add it to the tank, leave it for 5-7 days, wc & redose if needed (if symptoms are still present). Dont know if this helps!

jlk said:
Hmm... not quite sure what you have but I would treat for a full 5-7 days. I use Prazipro when needed- you add it to the tank, leave it for 5-7 days, wc & redose if needed (if symptoms are still present). Dont know if this helps!

Okay. I have some medication you mix with food. I may try that after stopping prazi and doing a wc.

jlk said:

So I don't see any sick fish and no more looong strings. I just notice some clear sections withen the string of poop. Isn't that normal? Also, just wondering, when I saw the long stringy poop I noticed floating poop as well. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thanks again for your help.

What are you feeding? Floaty poop could be the result of a fish gulping air when they eat (though not always). Do you feed any veggies? You can try feeding them solely fresh, cooked veggies for a few days & see how their poop looks. You should see nice, firm strands of green-colored poop if everyone eats their veggies. As long as everyone looks healthy (not skinny or bloated), are eating with a good appetite & acting normally, I would not be overly concerned because you have had these guys for awhile. :)

jlk said:
What are you feeding? Floaty poop could be the result of a fish gulping air when they eat (though not always). Do you feed any veggies? You can try feeding them solely fresh, cooked veggies for a few days & see how their poop looks. You should see nice, firm strands of green-colored poop if everyone eats their veggies. As long as everyone looks healthy (not skinny or bloated), are eating with a good appetite & acting normally, I would not be overly concerned because you have had these guys for awhile. :)

I think your right on that. I just read that gulping thing and one of my rainbows does it all the time.

Yeah I think I'm going to do a good water change with a gravel cleanup, put back my carbon and let it ride. I haven't seen anymore white poop for a few days nobody looks sick. I think they might have been expeling the last of it.

I feed them bloodworms and brine shrimp and flake food. Not both at once. I mix it up throughout the week. I'm telling you this is so out of the blue.

One thing I have noticed is flashing. Just my Bolivian ram. And not excessivly just once or twice. Could ick cause poop like that. I read you can have ick without the white spots to. I think I'm ocd'ing about it. Lol. I do that sometimes.

Honestly, I wouldnt stress over an occasional itch. Just keep your water healthy & keep an eye on everyone. :)

jlk said:
Honestly, I wouldnt stress over an occasional itch. Just keep your water healthy & keep an eye on everyone. :)

Im just worried about the poop. Im not seeing long strands of white poop but what I do see is the poop will come out with half clear and half regular. In that clear it looks to me like the stringy white twirling parasite poop but I don't know im not a fish poop expert. The fish that seems to have it twitches a little in the upper body (head) like he's trying to shake stuff off. But he's totally fine, swims after his food and rips it apart, chases the female, not fatigued at all.

Let me ask you this. When I perform water changes I put in dechlorenater, a little bit of tetra aqua safe, and I give them vitamins weekly. Its just a little cap poured into the water. Could any of this be causing the issue? I also read that not defrosting frozen food could cause stomach issues. Could I be mistaking any of this for the bowel issues?

Have you ever offered them fresh, cooked veggies? I honestly put them on a veggies-only diet for a couple of days & see how their poop looks & see if you see anything strange while doing this. I honestly dont know if feeding frozen vs defrosted is an issue or not- its possible they are biting chunks of frozen food off & perhaps this is causing an issue. For fish, swallowing chunks of frozen stuff is not the same as it is for us- our bodies are heated & frozen is quickly melted. Fish body temps are those of the water they are in. I defrost frozen stuff (bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc) simply for the reason that its easier for fish to eat. Try switching to defrosted stuff as well & see if this makes any difference. :)

jlk said:
Have you ever offered them fresh, cooked veggies? I honestly put them on a veggies-only diet for a couple of days & see how their poop looks & see if you see anything strange while doing this. I honestly dont know if feeding frozen vs defrosted is an issue or not- its possible they are biting chunks of frozen food off & perhaps this is causing an issue. For fish, swallowing chunks of frozen stuff is not the same as it is for us- our bodies are heated & frozen is quickly melted. Fish body temps are those of the water they are in. I defrost frozen stuff (bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc) simply for the reason that its easier for fish to eat. Try switching to defrosted stuff as well & see if this makes any difference. :)

I have done veggies in the past with little luck. I had a hard time finding. Veggie they all liked. Any suggestions on veggies? I am all for trying again.

I will begin defrosting the frozen food as well. It will reduce the chances for the one to get swim bladder as she attacked the top. Hey I just realized I haven't gotten your name. Mines Mike. Can you add fiends on here like Facebook. I'd love to show you pics of my tank. You will see that they look really healthy.

Hi Mike! Ill send you a friend request! Ok- veggies to try would be cooked broccoli/cauliflower florets (flower part), deshelled smooshed peas, zucchini, spinach, aspargus heads, green/red pepper, carrots, etc. I use a garlic press to crush carrots/peppers/anything hard. Pretty much any veggie is game as long as its cooked though avoid spicy stuff & heavy starches (corn, potatoes). You can also try some fruits, too. Grapes, orange/tangerine, melon, berries, soft apple or pear, etc. I am sure your guys are healthy- I just think you may be stressing a bit after dealing with last sick fish. :)
jessica

jlk said:
Hi Mike! Ill send you a friend request! Ok- veggies to try would be cooked broccoli/cauliflower florets (flower part), deshelled smooshed peas, zucchini, spinach, aspargus heads, green/red pepper, carrots, etc. I use a garlic press to crush carrots/peppers/anything hard. Pretty much any veggie is game as long as its cooked though avoid spicy stuff & heavy starches (corn, potatoes). You can also try some fruits, too. Grapes, orange/tangerine, melon, berries, soft apple or pear, etc. I am sure your guys are healthy- I just think you may be stressing a bit after dealing with last sick fish. :)
jessica

Wow. I had no idea they could eat that much. I always used peas, lettuce, and zucchini, and cucumber. Haha I told you I'm a stress case. I do get worried after losing a fish. Nice to meet you Jessica. I'll go out and get some veggies.

I use the bags of generic, steamable veggies- they are really easy! Just pop them in the micro for a few mins & put in a tupperware-type container & they are good for about a week. I also set aside a bit of anything that Im already making for dinner because theres almost always veggies on the menu. Zucchini is good, too, but i would skip the lettuce- its basically water & really has no nutritional value. Any dark green, leafy veggie works as well (kale, turnip greens, etc). Try some different things & see what they like! :)

Back
Top Bottom