Clear poop, bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends. Usually it means internal heximita and/or spironucleus and you should feed foods exclusively for 7-10 days that contain Metronidazole. It could be worms if it is segmented. I would guess heximita/spironucleus as they are a very common occurence in discus, angels, rams, etc. especially when water quality drops off and removal of excrement is neglected over time. Feed some foods with metro and you should be fine. It's not a bad idea to do periodic feedings of metro flakes, deworming flakes, etc. as a preventative.

bs6749 said:
Depends. Usually it means internal heximita and/or spironucleus and you should feed foods exclusively for 7-10 days that contain Metronidazole. It could be worms if it is segmented. I would guess heximita/spironucleus as they are a very common occurence in discus, angels, rams, etc. especially when water quality drops off and removal of excrement is neglected over time. Feed some foods with metro and you should be fine. It's not a bad idea to do periodic feedings of metro flakes, deworming flakes, etc. as a preventative.

Yes it has been segmented actually. So what should i feed? Specific brands and a link of it that you recommend?

My water quality has been normal, and i gravel vac during my 50% water change every week so i dont know how it happened!

I was worried over clear poop before but was advised it can be caused from a high portion of vegetable/green food in a fish diet...haven't been feeding the tank zuchinni or something recently?

Cynic said:
I was worried over clear poop before but was advised it can be caused from a high portion of vegetable/green food in a fish diet...haven't been feeding the tank zuchinni or something recently?

It can be caused by vegitables? Or a lak of vegitables? No, i dont feed zucchini, peas, or anything else like that really

Lots of vegetable so not your problem sorry :(

I recommend this: Medicated Flake Food for Fish

I would pic up some different foods from that link as they are always good to have on hand and I would wait in the meantime as it could possibly be nothing at all and fish do occasionally have white/clear excrement like that. If it is a regular occurrence or more than 2 days, I would start to treat with metro flake and a deworming flake once you get it.

bs6749 said:

I would pic up some different foods from that link as they are always good to have on hand and I would wait in the meantime as it could possibly be nothing at all and fish do occasionally have white/clear excrement like that. If it is a regular occurrence or more than 2 days, I would start to treat with metro flake and a deworming flake once you get it.

It has been occuring for the last 2-3 days:(

Edit: so the 3oz deworming flake?

I am just curious here- none of these med flakes have metro.

EDIT- sorry, I missed them at the bottom!!! I agree with your advice as long as the fish in question is still eating.

Says they have garlic! :0

My fault- i missed the metro at the bottom! Time for bed! Nothing wrong with garlic- its supposed to be immune-boosting as well as flavor-enhancing for fish but I have never been able to get anybody to eat anything with garlic in it. I wish you luck with your fish & hope she makes a speedy recovery! :)

jlk said:
My fault- i missed the metro at the bottom! Time for bed! Nothing wrong with garlic- its supposed to be immune-boosting as well as flavor-enhancing for fish but I have never been able to get anybody to eat anything with garlic in it. I wish you luck with your fish & hope she makes a speedy recovery! :)

Thanks!! So should i get the dewormer 1? Or 1 and 2?

I know you might be asleep! Dont worry about it if your tired lol

Fenben is pretty potent stuff & I cant safely recommend mixing it with metro although im sure there are people that do this on a regular basis without an issue. The prazi wormer flakes can be safely mixed with metro flakes & fed without a problem. Im not sure which # is prazi & which is fenben without going back to the site though!

I would get metro flakes and both of the deworming flakes and run all three courses, starting with the metro flakes and prazi flakes in my opinion. Feed twice per day, once for each medicated flake and then run the courses. Then switch to the fenben flake and feed every other day with no other foods being fed on off days as recommended.

Gboy66 said:
It can be caused by vegitables? Or a lak of vegitables? No, i dont feed zucchini, peas, or anything else like that really

Lack of I believe. How long have you had the fish in the tank for?

I feed peas and garlic when my fish have stringy poo like that. Garlic is a natural - I dont know what you would call it but it helps flush their bodys out, so if you have foods with garlic in them then i would say your onto a winner Also very nice angelfish!

I would get metro flakes and both of the deworming flakes and run all three courses, starting with the metro flakes and prazi flakes in my opinion. Feed twice per day, once for each medicated flake and then run the courses. Then switch to the fenben flake and feed every other day with no other foods being fed on off days as recommended.

Just my opinion, but treating with metro & prazi and then following with a treatment of fenben is overkill and really not necessary. Meds should be used judiciously & with caution- overtreatment can create more health issues especially when using a powerful med. I would not opt for additional meds after initial course unless there is a justifiable reason.

Hobgob said:
Lack of I believe. How long have you had the fish in the tank for?

Hi, the angels are both pretty old. The problamatic one is about a year:D

True, it may not be needed, but they are for different things. Metro is for internal flagellates such as heximita and spironucleus as you may know. The dewormers won't to anything for them. I am very unfamiliar with fish having worms, though it did say on the food page that fenben was for roundworms and praziquantel was for flatworms, and something else. I am not sure if those active ingredients will work on flatworms and roundworms at the same time. I believe that it is flagellates or worms in the fish and the fenben flake guidelines stated that it was targeted for roundworms and that no other foods should be fed. I figured that his best bet would be to treat simultaneously for flagellates and flatworms as this appeared safe when reading the guidelines for those foods. That's how I thought it through.

Jason7894561230 said:
I feed peas and garlic when my fish have stringy poo like that. Garlic is a natural - I dont know what you would call it but it helps flush their bodys out, so if you have foods with garlic in them then i would say your onto a winner Also very nice angelfish!

Really? How do you prepare it?

Back
Top Bottom