Clear Stringy Poo?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! For the past week I have noticed some clear stringy poo floating at the top of my goldfish tank. I haven't noticed any change in behavior or anything though, so im not sure which on has it. There is a black moor, a ryukin, and a lionhead goldfish in the tank. I know this can be some parasite, but im not sure. Any help would be appreciated! :thanks: :fish2:

This can indicate several things. Your fish could be stressed(water parameters?, tank size?). Diet plays a huge role. What are you feeding? It can also indicate an intestinal parasite. Are your fish a good weight and have a good appetite?

Thanks for the reply! I feed my fish goldfish pellets, shrimp pellets, and algae wafers usually, then for a treat I feed the blood worms and brine shrimp. I also like to feed peas. Maybe they picked up a parasite from the blood worms or brine shrimp. The 3 of them are in a 55 gallon that I do 50% water changes weekly on.

Depending on the size of your goldfish and how much/often your feeding a more frequent water change may be needed. Are you feeding any live foods? I usually avoid live foods because they can bring parasites. Also green peas need to be de-shelled(idk if you do that already). You could try some spinach too and orange slices. I use to blanch my veggies so the fish could eat them easier. Goldfish need plenty of fruits and veggies in addition to all the protein your providing. What are your water parameters?

I feed my fish twice a day, one in the morning and one at night. I will skip a feeding every week to avoid swim bladder which hit one of my goldfish bad. The black moor is pretty much full grown, I have had him for over 2 years now, same with the ryukin. The lion head is only a year old and I bought him when he was really small. I don't feed any live foods to them and I de-shell the peas. I will try to get more veggies in, as I have way to much spinach lying around. I will go test my water and come back. Thanks for the reply!

Alright, I tested my water and it read: pH: 7.6 Ammonia: 0ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: 10ppm

Edit: I am using the API liquid test kit

Your water parameters seem great. I would just feed more veggies. Sounds like they may be a little constipated. You can buy little veggie clips that suction onto the tank wall. They will love it!

Hrmm. I see the same thing in my tank sometimes. Its weird because I saw the calico fantail with a clear bubbly string hanging from his bum twice in the last month. And I've seen one of the two comets with the same thing yesterday. But the next time they poo it would be a normal one. So it's only every once in awhile they do a clear poo.

I didn't think was anything abnormal since it was rarely. I assumed it was from eating bubbles and sucking on rocks.

Your water parameters seem great. I would just feed more veggies. Sounds like they may be a little constipated. You can buy little veggie clips that suction onto the tank wall. They will love it!

+1

Daily veggies and add another small meal (if possible). It's not an internal bug issue but lack of food and veggies. It can also be the result of poor quality foods (ie, tetra, wardley, etc). Multiple small quality meals and lots of veggies (or plants) to graze on will keep their digestive systems happy and limit buoyancy issues related to the digestive tract. You should notice lots of green waste daily when their veggie intake is increased.

White and/or clear waste Is actually mucous and intestinal cells/bacteria sloughing off and being excreted in this case. Goldfish are designed without a 'true' stomach that is able to store food. Food enters and exits their systems very quickly thus their need to constantly graze. They also consume 80+% plant, green and algae matter in natural environments so attempting to mimic this to some degree is extremely beneficial to their health. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help guys! I think I am going to go buy some veggie clips for the tank. Do I boil the veggies before I feed it to my fish?

Thanks for the help guys! I think I am going to go buy some veggie clips for the tank. Do I boil the veggies before I feed it to my fish?

Depends on the veggie. I will clip raw spinach, red lettuces, kale, etc and leave them for my guys to devour. I will also purée a variety of veggies and feed these raw. Some people will freeze veggies into cubes or use a setting agent such as plain gelatin to make veggie cubes.

Tougher veggies such as carrots, peppers, broccoli, etc, I will cook to soften. Broccoli florets in clips are a favorite! Carrots and peppers I will smoosh in a garlic press after cooking to make them into bite-sized bits. The idea is to soften tough stuff (cook) or have stuff that is easy to tear or make sure veggies are in bite-sized bits. Hope this helps! :)

Wow, fish eat more vegetables than me! Thanks for the help! I put some spinach on a clip today, they seem to be interested in it.

Back
Top Bottom