Cloud Minnow has a little black spot on side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi My newest cloud minnow has a little black spot on her side. I didn't notice this until so don't know if its new or I brought her from the Lfs with it. She is perfectly healthy in every other way, schooling and eating fine. She is golden and light in colour. I have had her two weeks. She's settled in fine with my two other cloud minnows a boy and a girl I intend to get two more to join the school. What do you think this spot is? I have done a 3day dose of Melafix to help heal it if it is a nip from another fish. When I first got her the other female Cloud did chase her a lot and bully for a day or two.

Fish Care

Hi My newest cloud minnow has a little black spot on her side. I didn't notice this until so don't know if its new or I brought her from the Lfs with it. She is perfectly healthy in every other way, schooling and eating fine. She is golden and light in colour. I have had her two weeks. She's settled in fine with my two other cloud minnows a boy and a girl I intend to get two more to join the school. What do you think this spot is? I have done a 3day dose of Melafix to help heal it if it is a nip from another fish. When I first got her the other female Cloud did chase her a lot and bully for a day or two.

Hello em...

Just keep the tank water as clean as possible and add some floating plants for the small, shy fish that may need it. Change half the water in the tank at least every 2 weeks and the fish and plants will be fine. I like to add a little aquarium salt to the new water. I add a rounded teaspoon to every 5 gallons of treated tap water. You can likely convert to metric if necessary. The salt is really good for healing injuries and in general keeps the fish a bit healthier. This is just what I do. You're the keeper of the water, so the decision is yours.

B

Hello em...

Just keep the tank water as clean as possible and add some floating plants for the small, shy fish that may need it. Change half the water in the tank at least every 2 weeks and the fish and plants will be fine. I like to add a little aquarium salt to the new water. I add a rounded teaspoon to every 5 gallons of treated tap water. You can likely convert to metric if necessary. The salt is really good for healing injuries and in general keeps the fish a bit healthier. This is just what I do. You're the keeper of the water, so the decision is yours.

B

Hi thanks for the advice. She still has the little spot i think it was a nip from another female cloud minnow i have done a dose of melafix so hopefully it will heal, she has settled into the school now and i am adding another one today to get number up to 5. Spec the other female doesnt seem interested in her anymore and bullying has stopped. She is fine eating well but the spot is still there. I dont like natural looking tanks so real plants arent an option i'm afraid. I like really bright colours and have a very artifical look. See my pics of my goldfish tank on my profile. I havent put pics up of my other tank yet.

Hi just an update my Minnow Maleficent still has the black spot on her side, did a water change several since I last posted and a dose of Melafix. She is absolutely fine though schools well now with other fish and no bullying but still has the blackspot. Healthy in all other ways ie behaviour wise and eating well. My Danios and Minnow school together like one big school its cool to watch.

Cloud minnow update My cloud minnow still has the black spot near fin i think it is just a birthmark lol as she is still going strong and doing well.

Back
Top Bottom