Cloudy Eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think somthing may be wrong with my male German Blue Ram. One of his eyes is black and red, and vibrant as it should be, but the other is not as vibrant, with patches of white on it. There is also a small "fuzzy" patch above the eye. Anybody know what disease this is and meds to cure it? I don't have a QT tank yet, so i will have to either treat the whole tank, or put him in the 30gal alone to cycle the tank and to treat him alone. If i go with option 2, would I have to clean out the tank before I add other fish to it?

White Film on Eyes Only • High Ammonia or Nitrite Present • Bacteria Infection or Worm Cataract • All Fish • Amochlor (if Ammonia is Present)
• Eye Fungex . Ampicillex
• Paragon or Paragon II
http://www.aquatronicsonline.com/hobbyist/hobbyist3.htm

Cataracts
Symptoms: White or gray material covering the eyes only.
Treatment: As far as I know, the only treatment specifically designed for this ailment is Eye Fungex by Aquatronics. In the process, special attention should be made to assure that ammonia and nitrite levels stay within accepted measures.

Information: Cataracts are fungal growths on the eyes. Treatment with any aquarium fungicide should work. Its probability increases with water rich in ammonia or nitrates
http://www.aqualink.com/disease/sdisease.html#ich

I tested the parameters, and they are all fine, so i kindof think it may be bacteria, but IDK

Probably bacterial, or fungal. I am not a fan of treating a whole tank. Read the article on QT tanks. Perhaps you could put together a cheap one and you will not have to treat the entire tank.

Make certain first you have not had a pH swing. The first reaction your fish have to a rapid change in pH is cloudiness in the eyes. I know it is only 1 eye, but it is worth a quick test.

Also, you may want to buy a lottery ticket. True fungal infections are extremely rare!

Back
Top Bottom