Cloudy eye prob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sullyguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my Angelfish is getting over fin rot but now has a cloudy eye. What is the best cure for it??

20 galon
Ph 7
Ammonia .01
Nitrate 50

Temp 81 degrees celsius

Im using meracyn 2 and maroxy right now. Should I stick with that or is there a better way to fix it?
Any suggestions??

One of my Angelfish is getting over fin rot but now has a cloudy eye. What is the best cure for it??

20 galon
Ph 7
Ammonia .01
Nitrate 50

Temp 81 degrees celsius
Better water quality.......... #1 answer! :wink:
Any NH3 is too much, NO3 is a little high, and needs lowering, NO2 ?
81'C.............. :!: :?: 8O C - F (Cx1.8 )+32=F
Thats 177.8'F, thats a pot of fishsoup not a aquarium :lol:
What is actual temp and NO2 levels?

I would concentrate on water quality first, finish up current treatments second and perhaps add some salt.

then it must be 81 degrees farenheight. Im getting my hornwort today. That will help lower my nitrate. How do you use it? Just let it float on top of the water? What do you feed it?

Screw plants right now, you have enough on your plate right now....
NO3 is best removed by PWC's and then controlled by regular GV's/PWC's and filter maintenance.
Okeydokey, 81'f, what are NO2 levels?

I just redid my water tests. Nitrate is between 10 and 20 but closer to 10. My ammonia is 0 and my ph is 7.5. My temperature is 81 degrees fahernheight. The fin rot is just about healed but the cloudy eyes got worst. Is this from the cloudy water condition? Should I continue to use Maroxy with Maracyn two or try something new? Should I do a good vacuum and 30% water change to clear the medication and cloudy water? What do I do next?

You can try Melafix for the cloudy eyes.
How often are you doing PWC's? 10-20% of the water a week would really help keep the fish healthier. Plus, angels are sensitive fish so obviously should have the best conditions you can give. I've seen so many of them in fish stores suffering because they don't keep them in good enough water conditions and it's really horrible to see. :(
You can do a gravel vac but only do part of it, not all of the tank's gravel. It will kill a lot of the nitrifying bacteria and can cause a mini-cycle.
Oh, are you leaving the carbon in the filter while medicating? The carbon will suck up the meds.

right now they are getting over Fin rot. It's almost done with. Im just wondering if i should keep on with the medication or try to get the water clear. I've been doing about 20% every day while medicating. And yes I took out the carbon. Tomorrow will be my 6th day of medication.

You can do a gravel vac but only do part of it, not all of the tank's gravel. It will kill a lot of the nitrifying bacteria and can cause a mini-cycle.
A good GV'ing does not "Kill" your bio bacteria, if this was true then filters such as fluidized beds wouldn't work as well as they do, and fluidized beds work very well. Just as rinsing your filter media in tank water doesn't harm your bio bacteria. I rinse both of my filters media/media box weekly and at the same time do a complete GV & 20+% PWC, I often do a second GV&PWC mid week to lower NO3 levels.
I have very messy fish :wink:
Im just wondering if i should keep on with the medication or try to get the water clear. I've been doing about 20% every day while medicating. And yes I took out the carbon. Tomorrow will be my 6th day of medication.
As I said before, you should concentrate on water quality and finish the treatment (per instructions), then you can address the cloudy eye problem if it doesn't clear on its own with a little salt and Mela and Pimafix combined.
Right now your cloudy eye problem is IMO probably symptomatic of your previous water chemistry, you need to get it to, NH3-0, NO2-0, NO3-0-20,
You've got the NH3 and NO3 right, your temp and PH as long as their steady are not problematic, PWC's are good, I'd do only 10-15% daily as needed, though if it takes 20% to control NH3 levevls so be it.
Still need to know what your NO2 levels are?????
Alot of stress with the fish having been ill, being medicated, prior poor water quality and constant PWC's. Excessive stress can slow healing, lead to disease or even kill, some things you can do to lower stress is keep tank lights off, less traffic around tank, cover front of tank for and/or provide a place for fish to hide.

I dont have the No2 test kit. What do you mean by my water quality? The treatement instructions is only for 5 days and I've used it for 6 days now. I am using maracyn 2 and maroxy. I havent used any salt. I havent turned on my light to my aquarium and there is no traffic around it. It's in my bedroom and no one comes in here but me. What I am saying is do I keep on using the same medications I am using or do I change them to melafix and pimafix? Tomorrow Ill got buy the No2 test kit. I would like to know so if I buy something different I can do it on my day off tomorrow. I'm also picking up my new hornwort tomorrow.

What I meant by your water quality is that when you first posted your NH3 and NO3 were a little elevated, the NH3 is bad in any amount and NO3 is generally suggested to be kept at 0- 20ppm with 40ppm and above becoming stressfull.

If your finished with meds as directed then I would stop treatment, add fresh carbon to remove meds, continue with PWC's as needed to maintain water chemistry/quality and once all the meds are cleared (24hrs with good carbon) add some Melafix and/or Pimafix and a little salt. Remember you'll need to remove the carbon again and follow directions when using Mela/Pimafix.

Disclaimer; these are my recommendations, this is the course of action I personally would take, others may suggest alternative forms of treatment.
You could do everything right and still lose a fish.

The lack of outside stress from outside the tank is a good thing, and so is keeping the lights off, all postives for your fishes recovery.

You will need to continue to closely monitor your water chemistry as you may experience a cycle, whether its a mini or full will depend on "If" or "How much" the meds affected your cycle.
Its good that your acquiring a NO2 test, you will need to test NH3, NO2 and NO3 if you do experience a cycle.

You can add your Hornwort whenever, I do not believe that Mela/Pimafix has any effect on live plants.

I will see if I can get Melafix or not. I can get some Pimafix no problem. What kind of Salt do you use?? Never used any before. So Melafix and Pimafix is a better combo then Maracyn-2 and MarOxy? And Thanks for your advice and opinion.

Went shopping looking for the ingredients. All I could find is Pimafix the aquarium salt. Walmart doesn't have any melfaix in yet. They said probably a couple of days before it hits the shelves. The No2 Kit isn't at my pet store. It is on order. Coming in 2 weeks. So what should I do now? Keep using the Maroxy and maracyn 2 or clear the meds and wait for the melafix to come in????

So what should I do now? Keep using the Maroxy and maracyn 2 or clear the meds and wait for the melafix to come in????
Clear the meds, maitain water quality and use the salt and Pimafix.
Pimafix is Melafix's BIG brother, so it'll be fine on its own.
I just like to use them together, for a "One, two, knockout punch! :wink:

lol

I want the one two knockout punch!!! Ill let the medz clear tomorrow and try it out. Ill go on a melafix hunt again. I know it says 1 tablespoon of salf for every 5 galon so I would need 4 spoons. How many days in between do you put in the salt. I've never put in salt in my aquarium before. And Thanks for the help Chile.

Just add the salt once, and after a few PWC's you can add more if needed. Be careful with salt additions, it can concentrate if not removed with PWC's.
IMHO the biggest thing is just maintaining water quality.
These simple non-medicinal remedies are effective against minor problems, however if the problem continues or gets worse then meds be necessary.

i bought some melafix today. They finally had some. I'm gonna clear my meds today and start the new treatments tomorrow. Ill keep it updated.

Back
Top Bottom