Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcedAngelKiss

Aquarium Advice Regular
M getting a white cloudy haze to my water, week 2...I did a 30-40% change last weekend and it stayed pretty good til yesterday, I just did another 30-40% change and hoping it'll solve it, I thought it may have been over feeding since I've started to let my 4 yr old help me feed the fish, but I didn't allow him this week and I still ended up with a cloudy tank, the levels are great ammonia nitrites and nitrates are all at 0. I did replace my foam filter about 2 weeks ago and my carbon last week...as the directions stated...
The tanks been set up / cycled since Dec and have had fish in it since Jan, haven't had any problems til now.
Oh yes it's a 26 gal high tank and I have a goldfish, angelfish, silver dollar, and pleco. They are one weird lil school of fish but they're healthy!! :)
Thank you!

The biggest problem I have here:
You replaced your filter cartridges in an already heavily stocked, if not overstocked tank. You got rid of all your beneficial bacteria that lives on the filter media, which is why your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates all read zero (not for long though). What are you testing them with? Nitrates should never be zero unless you have a huge planted tank.

You're going to have to re-cycle your tank now that you got rid of all the beneficial bacteria. Your water is cloudy because you're going through a bacterial bloom, which is normal and beneficial.

Your fish are all incompatible with one another. What kind of goldfish is it? What kind of pleco is it? The silver dollar needs a 75G minimum and a minimum school of six. The angel can stay in there, but not with the goldfish.

Hope that helped you out!

I'm using the API master test kit and the fish have gotten along just fine, I won the goldfish at the fair, the pleco idk at the pet store I asked for an algae eater and that's what I got.
My filter has 3 filters, a sponge, carbon, and rocks...the cloudiness started before I changed the filters, hence why I changed it.

I'm using the API master test kit and the fish have gotten along just fine, I won the goldfish at the fair, the pleco idk at the pet store I asked for an algae eater and that's what I got.
My filter has 3 filters, a sponge, carbon, and rocks...the cloudiness started before I changed the filters, hence why I changed it.

Can you post a picture of the pleco?

Sounds like an AquaClear. Are you sure your nitrates are 0? The nitrate test can be iffy, I have to bang it on the wall for 30 seconds to get it to work.

I suspect its a common goldfish? Those need ponds, unfortunately, as they get really big (big specimens get around a foot long!)

Cloudiness could have been from overfeeding. Did anything else get in the tank besides the food?

Yes it's an aqua clear filter system
I feed them in the morning and in the afternoon.
When I sweep the gravel I don't get to much food particles up. Between the goldfish and pleco they clean up the floor constantly.
Should I go down to once a day? They eat like they're starved when I do feed them.

Attachments

• image-3076426062.jpg
    image-3076426062.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image-4129268381.jpg
    image-4129268381.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2474662182.jpg
    image-2474662182.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 55
You should feed them only 2-3 times a week. That's what I do, and they are all fine. I think the problem is overfeeding. Goldfish are messy eaters and you should limit their feeding.

On a side note, that goldfish will get too big for that tank, unfortunately :(

I can't recognize the pleco. Perhaps a golden nugget?

If anything on the nitrates it'd be 0- 5 the tube is always a yellow to orange but more yellow.
And as far as I know nothing else has gotten into the tank, but I have a 4 yr old so I can't promise anything...

How big of a tank would it need?
And wow that's a big difference on feeding, you sure my fatties won't turn over if I cut their diet? ;)

IcedAngelKiss said:
How big of a tank would it need?
And wow that's a big difference on feeding, you sure my fatties won't turn over if I cut their diet? ;)

I'm sure if you slowly decrease their diet it will work out :)

I'd say a REALLY big tank, like 100 Gallons just for one.

The goldfish is a cold water fish, and the others require a higher temp. Like everyone else has said never throw ur filter away unless its falling apart. My hob can hold 2 filters so if one needs throwing away I've got a backup. Then once I throw it away I add another so I've always got bb growing.

IcedAngelKiss said:
100 gal tank for one fish?!?!
How big is he gonna get?

In the long run, the gold fish will generate to much waste, this will have a negative effect in your water (unless you do a ton of water changes), and at the end will have a negative effect in your Angel, Pleco, etc.

Agree with the rest, if you can, try to re home the goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom