Cloudy Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Denise

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gal, freshwater,with bio wheel.Last week I did a complete breakdown on my tank and cleaned everything.Now I have white cloudy water! I also noticed that I have a little green allege starting to grow around the filter housing. I added allege fix to my tank thinking that I had an allege bloom starting but alas that didn't help either. I have also did a 25% water change looked like it got a little clearer but this am it was back to the way it was before I changed the water.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :?

what size biowheel,

on some there is a spot where you can add extra filtration, if you have this usuually there on 330's, add two bads of carbon to clear up the water, also i believe adding live plants and doing water changes every couple of days should help, don;t do to much water at once it'll shock the water

hth josh

Welcome to AA, Denise!! :mrgreen:

What has happened here is that you have wiped out your beneficial bacterial colonies in the tank that help control ammonia and nitrite. It would be a good idea to test for these two values right away, and if you are showing any measurable amount of either, you are experiencing a "mini" cycle. You will have to allow the bacteria to recolonize, but in the meantime protect the fish from the toxic ammonia and nitrite (assuming you have some levels, both or possibly just nitrite). Small water changes on an every other day basis and over a week or two this will clear up. Be patient and don't add anything, or clean anything, and you'll be back in shape. Post back if the fish seem to be in distress, as there are things you can do about that.

The algae is related to light and nutrients, so cutting back on the lighting schedule and keeping nitrate down with water changes will likely help that problem.

Back
Top Bottom