Clown loach: discoloration in black stripes????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lil'Fishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Clown loach had a very small white / grey spot on one of his black stripes, near his head. I didnt think anything of it, untill i saw 2 more by his dorsal fin (not spots like ich, more like light areas within the black). ANd this morning i noticed his mouth looks much whiter than the other loach's mouth. A few days ago we noticed both loachs breathing much faster than normal. Please help!

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the beset of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Clown Loach, appeared to be breathign abnormally fast / heavy. Then noticed a discoloration on one of his black stripes. A couple days later i noticed a few more,a nd his mouth is MUCh whiter in color than the other loach.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia, nitritaes = 0, PH = 7.0, Nitrates = idont have a test for :(

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

37 Gallon. We had a 29 gallon (for 5 months) that started to bow. We didnt want to take a chance so we bought a 37 gal. We figured the fastest way to make the switch was to transfer everything from the old tank to the new one. Same grave, water, filter etc. We added some new plants and a new rock. It's been about a week that the new tank has been up.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Fluval 204

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?

4 Palties - 1 is about and inch and a half, the other 3 are 3 months old (about half an inch)
4 fancy guppies - about 2 inches
2 mollies - one inch and 2 inches
L200 - 3 inches
Clown Pleco - one and a hlaf inch
2 loaches - about 3 inches

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

last water chang was when we switched tanks. Normal water changes are done once a week(Remove about 20 %), vaccuming - everyother watercahnge.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
The clown loach we have had for about 3 months

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? Just what i described above.

Is the whole fish turning a little white? Or just certain spots? Fish will discolor (usually, getting lighter) when they are stressed. I'd get a nitrate test and see what is up. You could be quite high, since you just changed the tank over.

Also, is the white almost like a "growth"? Is it something extra on the fish, or is it more just a discoloration? White areas on the fish, then moving to the mouth, could be something bacterial if it seems to be a growth.

Let us know

It was just certain spots, not growth like. More like if you got a dab of bleach on your black pants. They seem to be gone now, so maybe it was stress related, but his mouth is still whiter than normal, the inside and around the lip area. BUt he is eating fine and not thinning at all. I do notice once in awhile he will pale, but will then return to his normal color if he gets stressed. that is why i thought this might be something different. We'll see if they come back :?

Thanks!

I do notice once in awhile he will pale, but will then return to his normal color if he gets stressed.
Do you know what is stressing the fish? Does this happen at certains during the day, everyday? What is the temperature of the tank?

usually this will only happen when we vaccum durring a water change, or when the other loach chasses him (he can be bully when it comes to food). But other than that, he stays his normal color. The temp is usually between 75 and 78F.

Okay, you have identified the stress! In a larger tank you could reduce bullying by getting more clown loaches, as they like to be in groups of 3+.

thanks, yeah i think if i put another loach in it wll be to croweded, although they are so cute :)

Keep on top of your water changes and have a tank upgrade in mind over the next year or so (they don't grow very fast, but they can get quite large)....:wink:

Back
Top Bottom