Clown loach getting thiner and thiner...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got three clown loaches several months ago (may be 6 months). One of them died within a couple of weeks. The other two are still alive... one is getting nice and fat, the other one is getting thinner and thinner.

Both of them are avid eaters, they love all kinds of veggies (as complement to the algae pellets, flake and pellets of different kinds) and they feast on frozen blood worms once a week. I always check them at eating time, to make sure that both of them are getting enough food, and they do. They both play and chase each other, but... the little one is almost skin and bones!

Any ideas?

Thank you.

It is possible the little one has an internal parasite. I have seen clowns with parasites before. Try feeding an anti parasitic medicated food. Are you able to QT the skinny one?

Yes, I have a QT tank cycled and ready to QT some new guys. But I have not bought them yet. So you think I should move the skinny one there and medicate it? What kind of medication? I'm worried about stressing it even more.

I would try some medicated food for parasites. You may have to crush it up a bit. There is another thread here for that very thing. I wouldn't try any stronger meds as loaches can be sensitive to meds.

Here's my thought BigC. A fish that eats and loses weight most likely has a tapeworm. Check with your lfs for the proper med and follow directions.

OK. "Skinny" has been in the QT tank with medication for tape worms for 3 days. All the time he was there he didn't eat, he stayed in a corner behind a plastic plant (the only decoration in the QT tank) and he looked really "pale", washed out.

As soon as I put him back in his tank, he went straight for the food and his color became vibrant at once. What a rapid recovery!

Now I hope he will start growing like his big brother.

I'll keep you posted.

Yes, It is good that you caught yours soon enough. Mine was thing to begin with, i just figured he'd get more plump when he had less competition from the overcrowded tank at big-als. I was wrong! RIP Buddy! Keep us posted on improvements!

Back
Top Bottom