Clown Loach w/Fin Rot or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishesfriend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This morning, for the 1st time, I noticed my largest CL (approx 1 yr) has partitally shredded dorsal and tail fins. The other 5 do not, nor do any of the other 19 fish in the tank.

My water is always great, and none of my fish have ever had this. I read everywhere that fin rot is a dirty water problem. Should I quarantine to medicate or treat the tank? Maracyn 2 okay?

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia - 0, nitrites - 0, nitrates - 20, temp - 80, pH - 8). Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? 54g corner How long has the tank been set up? 13 mos
4~What type of filtration are you using? Eheim Professional 4+ 600
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? I'm at 105% of capacity w/filtration and water changes that negate that. And this is a lot to list.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? Thurs (today is Sat) How often do you do this? Twice/wk How much water do you remove at a time? 15% to 25% & one 50% every other wk if needed.
7~How long have you had the fish? 11 mos. If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No.
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? They get flake (regular alternated w/color flakes), shrimp pellets, tubifex worms, frozen blood worms, zuchinni, cucumber, they will get into the cory's sinking wafers too. Diet change is I added pellets last night.:thanks:

Okay you have a 54 gallon which isn't suitable for clown loaches as they need at least a 125 gallon cause they get huge so you will stunt them and they will die, how many loaches as they need 3+ because they are social fish, reason its important to list your stocking is because some fish might not be compatible in that tank together hence why his tail might be shredded (getting nipped at) but clown loaches aren't a fish that tolerates being bullied, just because you do water changes does not mean overstocking is negated for to the fact over crowding can lead to stress especially with incompatible fish which leads to illness and death, aqadvisor or other sites that calculate your stock % are incorrect because they use the 1" per gallon rule. Your stocking is not to much to list as it would definitely help us to be able to help you.

EDIT : holy bagessus you have 6 in a 54 gallon you say you're at 105% try more like 250%

SOLUTION: if you want to keep the loaches you are going to have to upgrade to at least a 125 but I would say more like a 180 they get 11+ inches long and are huge bodied fish, your tank is way overcrowded and my guess is the loach with the tail issue is either getting picked on by another loach or another tank mate.

Also a pic would be helpful.

Okay you have a 54 gallon which isn't suitable for clown loaches as they need at least a 125 gallon cause they get huge so you will stunt them and they will die, how many loaches as they need 3+ because they are social fish, reason its important to list your stocking is because some fish might not be compatible in that tank together hence why his tail might be shredded (getting nipped at) but clown loaches aren't a fish that tolerates being bullied, just because you do water changes does not mean overstocking is negated for to the fact over crowding can lead to stress especially with incompatible fish which leads to illness and death, aqadvisor or other sites that calculate your stock % are incorrect because they use the 1" per gallon rule. Your stocking is not to much to list as it would definitely help us to be able to help you.

EDIT : holy bagessus you have 6 in a 54 gallon you say you're at 105% try more like 250%

SOLUTION: if you want to keep the loaches you are going to have to upgrade to at least a 125 but I would say more like a 180 they get 11+ inches long and are huge bodied fish, your tank is way overcrowded and my guess is the loach with the tail issue is either getting picked on by another loach or another tank mate.

Also a pic would be helpful.

They are under 4" and are going into a 120g tank in 4 wks. I know what I'm doing there. But thanks. My tank is NOT overstocked, btw and there is no fin nipping and everyone's compatible.

My question was: Could I have fin rot with a completely beautifully clean tank, or is that only for dirty water tanks?

Sir/mam, take this with no offense please but when you ask for an opinion that's what you will get, i have 3 clowns in a 55 (upgrading in july) my tank is right at 95% per aqadvisor but I know it's more based on my nitrate readings, yes your tank is over stocked as you said to many to list.

As far as clear water.. That does not nessessarily mean good water, also just because you don't see fin nipping doesn't mean it isn't happening in the night cycle as that's when fish act out.

If you can post a pic that would be great
8ae840c57e1929a717319a35451766ee.jpg
23c7baa3350fdb4bd5b65cf96a817c5c.jpg

Sir/mam, take this with no offense please but when you ask for an opinion that's what you will get, i have 3 clowns in a 55 (upgrading in july) my tank is right at 95% per aqadvisor but I know it's more based on my nitrate readings, yes your tank is over stocked as you said to many to list.

As far as clear water.. That does not nessessarily mean good water, also just because you don't see fin nipping doesn't mean it isn't happening in the night cycle as that's when fish act out.

If you can post a pic that would be great
8ae840c57e1929a717319a35451766ee.jpg
23c7baa3350fdb4bd5b65cf96a817c5c.jpg

I just don't like to type them all out. I used the online tool that was recommended from this messaging board and I believe it.

Also, none of these are my questions. You have no idea how many hours I watch this tank - including at night in blue light before it goes off. Also, I intentionally have no fish known for being fin nippers as I have 3 gorgeous Angels with perfect fins - for a year now.

I can see you can't or won't answer the question I even reposted in my last reply, so thank you for your time. Good day.

Edit: I don't think pretty water is good water, I check the parameters about 4 times a week, unless I have reason to check more often.

Last edited:
I've already asked you to post a pic as fin rot doesn't nessessarily come from clear water, if you want me to I can say it's absolutely fin rot even though your waters clear but I won't do that because without a picture it's hard to tell, yes your fish can get fin rot even with the best water conditions is that what you want to hear?

gl as I should also tell you 6/ 4 inch clown loaches and 19 other fish is way more than 105%, you don't want to cooperate by posting a pic... as you probably know clowns squeeze into tight areas which could of injured the tail /fins, I'll give you an example I have 3 2" loaches, 7 juvenile rainbows, 6 ornate tetras, 6 lemon tetras without me adding the loaches in aqadvisor I'm 95% stocked if I add the loaches I'm 155%, maybe next time you post you will read what we need from you so that we can help you better.

To prevent fin rot from occurring in the first place don't overcrowd your aquarium or overfeed your fish. Also, don't keep fish that are known to nip fins, such as*tiger barbs*with fish that have long flowing fins (e.g.,*angelfish, bettas).

I've already asked you to post a pic as fin rot doesn't nessessarily come from clear water, if you want me to I can say it's absolutely fin rot even though your waters clear but I won't do that because without a picture it's hard to tell, yes your fish can get fin rot even with the best water conditions is that what you want to hear?

I didn't "want" to hear anything. Without pics you seemed to very much know everything else about my tank and how you think it's overstocked. I cannot take a pic as my phone cam is broken. He has no white on the fins or body, I am treating him anyway. JIC.

I understand that you think my tank is overstocked, but I disagree. What is good for you isn't good for everyone. All but the Angels are very small fish and, again, the loaches (all 2"-3" only)will be moving into my project species tank in about 4 mos. I'm willing to, and do, do the water changes, tests, and mantainence to keep my tank stocked this way that's for me.

Again, thanks for your time. You just really came off poorly from the 1st agressive reply. The one where you assumed I know nothing because in 20 yrs I've never had a case of fin rot in any of my tanks.:thanks:

I didn't "want" to hear anything. Without pics you seemed to very much know everything else about my tank and how you think it's overstocked. I cannot take a pic as my phone cam is broken. He has no white on the fins or body, I am treating him anyway. JIC.

I understand that you think my tank is overstocked, but I disagree. What is good for you isn't good for everyone. All but the Angels are very small fish and, again, the loaches (all 2"-3" only)will be moving into my project species tank in about 4 mos. I'm willing to, and do, do the water changes, tests, and mantainence to keep my tank stocked this way that's for me.

Again, thanks for your time. You just really came off poorly from the 1st agressive reply. The one where you assumed I know nothing because in 20 yrs I've never had a case of fin rot in any of my tanks.:thanks:
My post wasn't aggressive it was the absolute truth, you didn't mention in the beginning rehoming the clowns in the future, the thing I was trying to get is your stocking as there could be someone picking on him, are your angels spawning? I'm just assuming they are mated, if so this could be the culptit, I don't have anything in my tank that's aggressive, I watch my tank just like you do under lunar lights, woke up one morning and I had a tetra that the tail was completely gone as well as the dorsal fin still don't know how it happened but I did notice my ornate tetras were nipping at the lemons even they should school together so I increased my school number and haven't had an issue since.

The second thing is you can't go off aqadvisor as it doesn't take into the fact fish can be juveniles, adults etc etc it goes off the 1"per gallon rule that's outdated, clowns are not only long they are tall and very thick but as I mentioned before clowns don't tolerate bullying ask my hand when I thought one was dead cause I didn't know they play dead and it stuck me with its secret dagger lol.

I simply was trying to get the whole picture so I could make an honest opinion because honestly without knowing everything (new changes , water parameters, stocking, etc etc) no one can honestly give you a 100% honest answer all we can do is guess.

The clown could of wedged himself/herself into a tight area and got semi stuck and tore fins and tail getting back out we all sleep anything by can happen. Best of luck to the fishes, just finished my tanks so it's off to watch a movie.

Back
Top Bottom