Clown loaches and salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi , I have found out, via this forum...ty, that u shouldn't put salt in the water with clown loaches. I was told by my local fish shop, that each time u do a wc salt must be added as per instructions on pkt. I have been doing this when I do my 25% wc weekly. So, would this explain why my loaches appear to be bleeding at the gills and have red stripes down the body? They are happy boys, active, eat well and play with the group, so the gill redness doesn't appear to be bothering them. Should I stop putting salt in the water, I have a 240ltr tank, 3 loaches, 1 shark, 1 balloon Molly, 2 platys, 2 catfish, 2 bristle nose catfish and 3 fry. Ph is 7.3 , Nitrate is about 5 or less. What are your thoughts ?? Thanks

Hi , I have found out, via this forum...ty, that u shouldn't put salt in the water with clown loaches. I was told by my local fish shop, that each time u do a wc salt must be added as per instructions on pkt. I have been doing this when I do my 25% wc weekly. So, would this explain why my loaches appear to be bleeding at the gills and have red stripes down the body? They are happy boys, active, eat well and play with the group, so the gill redness doesn't appear to be bothering them. Should I stop putting salt in the water, I have a 240ltr tank, 3 loaches, 1 shark, 1 balloon Molly, 2 platys, 2 catfish, 2 bristle nose catfish and 3 fry. Ph is 7.3 , Nitrate is about 5 or less. What are your thoughts ?? Thanks

Can't say I've heard of having salt with clown loaches, honestly can't see the need there and tricky with them as more salt sensitive. Following :)

What sort of salt is it - sea salt? If nitrite is up this will help but you don't need much. Is the tank cycled and nitrites / ammonia 0?

The redness sounds odd though, depending on what you do, I'd try increasing water changes for a bit.

Only thing I can say is I've read a lot that salt and scaleless fish is a nono.

Yes, i have just found that out myself, the peeps at the local fish shop said that it reduces stress in fish, i bought the loaches there when i first had my tank set up. So you would think that they would of known. The tank is cycled. It is aquarium salt. Do other people put salt in the tanks when they have guppies, mollies etc, because they are the other fish in the tank

Hi Delapool, it is odd, I was doing water changes every 2 days at one stage. I'm wondering if it is the salt that has caused this prob with the loaches.....I shall google it and find out what others have to say. As i said prev, the loaches seem in very good health , happy, play a lot and feed well

Hi Delapool, it is odd, I was doing water changes every 2 days at one stage. I'm wondering if it is the salt that has caused this prob with the loaches.....I shall google it and find out what others have to say. As i said prev, the loaches seem in very good health , happy, play a lot and feed well

The water changes sound great. Sounds tested. :)

I did wonder if it could be a mild case of septicaemia and they suggested salt for that for the red streaks. Would be interesting to see why they suggested it.

As the loaches are doing well, you could try reducing the salt level and see what happens.

I've never had salt cause marks on the fish (an overdose usually has them belly up when it's gotten too much) but that could just be me.

Yes, i have just found that out myself, the peeps at the local fish shop said that it reduces stress in fish, i bought the loaches there when i first had my tank set up. So you would think that they would of known. The tank is cycled. It is aquarium salt. Do other people put salt in the tanks when they have guppies, mollies etc, because they are the other fish in the tank

I've never had salt with live bearers but others do at I believe a rate of 1 teaspoon of salt per 5 gallons. Most times when I use salt to treat I start at that and go to 2 or 3 tablespoons per 5 gallons (I think Australia might have slightly more to a tablespoon).

I was told by the fish shop to add salt every wc, which is what i have been doing at 1 tablespoons (as per pkt instructions) to every 5g, apparently reduces stress levels and improves gill function as well as adds electrolytes, i dont know, you get told so much conflicting info. I've got some waterlife sterazin coming which is meant to be for the red gills. I'll see how that goes. I have questioned that staff at the fish shop about not using salt and they have been very adamant that it is beneficial and needs to be added to the tank. They have never, at any stage, said that you couldn't use it with the loaches, might have to separate my fish if that is the case.

I was told by the fish shop to add salt every wc, which is what i have been doing at 1 tablespoons (as per pkt instructions) to every 5g, apparently reduces stress levels and improves gill function as well as adds electrolytes, i dont know, you get told so much conflicting info. I've got some waterlife sterazin coming which is meant to be for the red gills. I'll see how that goes. I have questioned that staff at the fish shop about not using salt and they have been very adamant that it is beneficial and needs to be added to the tank. They have never, at any stage, said that you couldn't use it with the loaches, might have to separate my fish if that is the case.

Yes, highly topical this one - at the end of the day I think it comes back to replicating their natural environment largely. The trouble is too much salt causes irritation and they do poorly as time goes on.

Can you post a photo of the redness? Was it always there? Gotten better or worse at any stage?

If you can separate for a bit, then I'd try reducing the salt in the loaches tank and see if that makes any difference before the waterlife product arrives.

If no other fish has flashing, gasping, weight loss, redness then I'm still coming back to the salt as an issue rather than parasites. Plan A anyways :) as they are otherwise doing so well.

I am just in the process of cycling a smaller tank, only started a few days ago, however until then when i do the water changes I won't add salt at all. Once it's cycled i will move the other fish into it. (I would like to get some ghost knifes, they are scaleless and i would think wouldnt like salt either.) It wasn't there when i first got them, and hasn't gotten any worse than what it started. They are happy enough, very active (day or night) and curious, eat without any problems. The other fish are fine, tho one of the catfish flashes now and then but I can't see any problems with it, again, it eats and interacts okay. I would post a photo but don't know how, could u help me with that?

On the app it's quite easy as you have the photo album icon below your new post and can load from there. It's been ages since I've done it on the desktop - hopefully someone knows. There is also a quota of photos - decent amount but I can't remember what the limit is.

It sounds a good plan. Phase out the salt gradually and see what happens. Should see a change well and truly within a week so it won't take long to get an idea and test.

I've got a pic, went to download but it's asking for a url, how do i find that out, had hoped you could just click on it and it would load.

I can see what you mean on the second photo. I think stick with it to phase out the salt and see if that has been an irritant.

Not all of your fish come from an environment that has salted water in it, so stop salting. Sorry to say but it sounds like the store workers really don't know what they are talking about. It is true that some fish like guppies and mollies come from estuarine environments. But a) these fish are euryhaline, which means they can live in a wide range of conditions. And b) adding aquarium salt doesn't even replicate true brackish conditions, marine salt mix would be the way to go in that regard.

So, in summary, you should find a happy balance for all of your stock. Since the guppies are fine in a wider range of conditions, plan your tank to best suit the leaches. And read this link to learn more than you ever wanted to know about aquarium salt use http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/salt

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Thanks for the advice, I will stop using salt. I have tested for ammonia and it is 0. Happy Easter!!

Back
Top Bottom