Coldwater ich treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reygan2

Aquarium Advice Addict
Things seemed to be great, then I just noticed that the fish that hasn't had a single issue since I got him is covered with ich. I easily treated it in my tropical tank years ago, but I've never treated it in goldfish. I'm getting different suggestions, but if anyone can please direct me to the best option I'd really appreciate it. Can goldfish withstand 88F temps for 2 weeks?

Put some garlic cloves in ur tank. Try that ur goldfish eat it. Then from second day mix ginger powder in goldfish food and feed them. Like a pinch while one serving. Ur fish will get better. I am not an expert but this is a proven method.

Also during this period turn off lights most of the time.

Kordon rid ich.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Uh oh. I've already got the tank well on its way to 86F. I started yesterday morning. It's at 79 now. So no heat?? Dang. I think I have every other med on the planet except that one.
I have MetroPlex. Will that work as well?

Last edited:
Put some garlic cloves in ur tank. Try that ur goldfish eat it. Then from second day mix ginger powder in goldfish food and feed them. Like a pinch while one serving. Ur fish will get better. I am not an expert but this is a proven method.

Also during this period turn off lights most of the time.

Um, I've never actually heard of this method at all. Out of interest has this been tried in freshwater? I've read some articles on garlic use but only in saltwater.

Garlic does NOT cure ich!:nono:
KNOW THE ENEMY!
https://web.archive.org/web/20160313202109/http://skepticalaquarist.com/ichthyophthirius

One of the BEST links on ich ever....(y)

Great info. The article also mentions using heat. I've read that using heat and meds isn't recommended though. What temp should the tank be when I dose rid ex? It's at 82 now. The fish are acting perfectly normal. They are active and ate ravenously this morning. I'm not comfortable with raising it to 86 and keeping it there for 2 weeks. I wonder if I should keep it at 82 to speed up the life cycle and dose the rid ex when it gets here tomorrow?

There is no need to raise the het at all with meds.The rid ich plus [NOT HERBAL] will say right on the directions no need to raise temp.
You want your fish as comfy as possible to recover.
Gold fish not only prefer cooler temps ,but need the O2 content of cooler water, As temp rises dissolved O2 decreases...
Kio vet is a great goldfish source for info.
In many cases they get specialized treatment not the same as regular tropical.
NO heat,water change before rid ich,and vacuum daily and medicate to 3-4 days without any spots.

I don't know what the article said but I just cured my oscar tank by garlic and then giving my Oscars ginger powder mixed in there blood worms.

There is no need to raise the het at all with meds.The rid ich plus [NOT HERBAL] will say right on the directions no need to raise temp.
You want your fish as comfy as possible to recover.
Gold fish not only prefer cooler temps ,but need the O2 content of cooler water, As temp rises dissolved O2 decreases...
Kio vet is a great goldfish source for info.
In many cases they get specialized treatment not the same as regular tropical.
NO heat,water change before rid ich,and vacuum daily and medicate to 3-4 days without any spots.

Lowering temp now. I'm going to go with the rid -x when it arrives tomorrow. I'll post progress. Thanks for the advice.

Uh oh. I've already got the tank well on its way to 86F. I started yesterday morning. It's at 79 now. So no heat?? Dang. I think I have every other med on the planet except that one.
I have MetroPlex. Will that work as well?

I did look this up and my impression was it would but slow (maybe a little too slow) acting (like triple sulpha). I think it said on the seachem site it would?

Last edited:
I don't know what the article said but I just cured my oscar tank by garlic and then giving my Oscars ginger powder mixed in there blood worms.

Got to say I'm cautious on the idea but curious. Would love to see the article if you come across it. Thanks for posting back.

I did look this up and my impression was it would but slow (maybe a little too slow) acting (like triple sulpha). I think it said on the seachem site it would?

Yeah, I'm not going to waste time on dosing Metro. The Kordon ich treatment will arrive today and I'm going with that. I've also been lowering the temp since yesterday. I never felt comfortable putting my goldies in temps that warm, despite all the info on the internet claiming it's safe. Live and learn...

I saw that on YouTube. U can search YouTube for garlic powder ich treatment. It worked for me. As one guy use to treat his both marine and freshwater tanks by same method I posted.
Got to say I'm cautious on the idea but curious. Would love to see the article if you come across it. Thanks for posting back.

I've treated for 3 days now with no visible signs of improvement. I went to the Kordon website and it says the dose can be upped to every 12 hours. Anyone done this before? Is it risky?

I have double dosed my fish before. No problems but I change water a lot and all through out treatment.
The life cycle is still in force.3 days is not long enough to kill ich.It can't be killed until it falls off the fish.
I would wait before upping dose unless the fish look worse.

Back
Top Bottom