Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
Coldwater tank overheated :(

My tengal coldwater overheated. I had two very small golden dojo loaches in it, the one male died. The tank went up to 82 with this dang heat. The params are perfect. What can i do to cool down the tank? I still have one other golden dojo loach, what should i do with her? I am really bummed out, this was my favorite fish. Any ideas to cool down the tank and stop other fatalities?

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

there have been lots of posts on this .... open the top and run a fan over the water, that should drop it a few degrees or freeze some plastic bottles filled with water and put them in the tank

82 isn't that hot - ich treatment is usually alot higher - are you sure it was the heat ?

Old 08-03-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
src
Aquarium Advice Freak

What kind of aeration do you have in the tank? Chances are the raised temperature lowered the oxygen levels too far, especially if you use an HOB filter that doesn't agitate the surface a lot.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use a submersible, but i have it a little bit above water so it agitates it quite a bit. And i think it was because the water temp changed so fast. Our Air contitioning shut off last night for some reason, and it rose to the temp of outside, so it heated so quickly, i think that is why.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

you might want to keep a heater on during the heat wave so that the fish will be used to the higher temps in case it happens again - get them used to 80 - 82 degrees or so for now, depending on how hot room temp is at its highest (with and more importantly without AC) - it'll reduce the fluctuations
Old 08-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes, the dojo loaches can't stand higher temp. I have had this tank for almost 3years without ever lossing a fish. So this is kind of scary.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah, ok, didn't know that about dojo's. Yes, it can be scary. The fan will help alot. When you're home you can also add the frozen bottles - if it happens while you're away at least the fan will keep some of the temp down. Hopefully this heat wave will break soon.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, i got the fan over top, and i put a ziploc bag full of ice in it, that should suffice.

Tags
coldwater, eat, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com