Columbian Shark swimming in circles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a Columbian Shark about 5 weeks ago for my 55 Gallon fresh water. He seems healthy but has been swimming in circles for the past couple of weeks in the corner of the tank. he has grown substantially. All my other fish are healthy and do not demonstrate this behavior. they consist of; rainbow shark, bala shark, swordtail, neon tetras, pair of blue rams, gourami, and an algae eater. I have heard that they like a slight salinity. any suggestions? (will provide another home if unsuitable). Thank you

Thanks for the fast reply and the sincere welcome Delapool. the salinity was mentioned for the columbian shark as he got older. I deeply appreciate your reference and upon investigation realized just how many guide lines I wasn't understanding. I am going to take back the columbian, the bala and the common pleco. I am relatively new to this hobby and am now starting to appreciate the fundamentals of keeping a fish tank. its overwhelming when you think of all the variables.

Thanks for the fast reply and the sincere welcome Delapool. the salinity was mentioned for the columbian shark as he got older. I deeply appreciate your reference and upon investigation realized just how many guide lines I wasn't understanding. I am going to take back the columbian, the bala and the common pleco. I am relatively new to this hobby and am now starting to appreciate the fundamentals of keeping a fish tank. its overwhelming when you think of all the variables.

Sounds grand progress. :).

There is a lot to the hobby I totally agree. Makes it interesting but a lot to get through.

One other worth investigating is a water test kit like the API master FW test kit. It's helpful for checking water chemistry is still in range (amazing what the water company does sometimes or if different water is sourced between summer & winter), but it's also useful as a basic intro into the aquarium chemistry side imo.

http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI

I have a 5 in 1 test strip by API. It measures PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, carbonate and general hardness. I just took a measurement and the readings are; 8.0-8.5, 0-0.5 mg/L, 40 mg/L, 120 mg/L, 180 mg/L respectively.

Test strips are bunk- if you want to save money send me your water, I'll taste it and give you a comparably accurate reading ;)

On the of chance those readings are accurate, your nitrate is fairly high; I would do a big water change soon.

Back
Top Bottom