Columnaris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ItsInTents

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I got a new Betta a week and a half ago. He's been in a quarantine tank since day 1 and I've been doing daily partial water changes. I've been doing more research about what kind of symptoms to look for in case he has something. He is a white opal color and as you can imagine it can be hard to identify if he has columnaris or not, but I did pick up on whiter/brighter areas on his gills and head and small brown/red spots on his face. He did look like this when I got him so I'm not sure if this is just his coloring or he has columnaris, or perhaps he has something entirely different that someone can enlighten me on.

I've attached a few pictures. They aren't the greatest. It was pretty hard to get a good image of him, but I tried my best and I circled the areas in question. As you can hopefully see those areas appear to be whiter and brighter than the rest of his body.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_7182.jpg
    IMG_7182.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7176.jpg
    IMG_7176.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_7172.jpg
    IMG_7172.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 104
My first impression is that the pictured imperfections aren't Columnaris. It's really difficult to diagnose from pics, especially on a white fish, but if he is eating and swimming normally probably not much to worry about.
Even the less lethal strains of Columnaris spreads relatively quick. You'll know for sure one way or another if the situation worsens. I hope things turn out okay.

Nice looking Betta !(y)
Good luck with him ,he is impressive [coming from a non betta person].
I would guess the spots are coloring ,he looks very healthy IMO.

Awesome Betta. Idk, he looks good to me. Maybe he's so perfect that any slight imperfection seems horrible....[emoji16]

My first impression is that the pictured imperfections aren't Columnaris. It's really difficult to diagnose from pics, especially on a white fish, but if he is eating and swimming normally probably not much to worry about.
Even the less lethal strains of Columnaris spreads relatively quick. You'll know for sure one way or another if the situation worsens. I hope things turn out okay.

He's very active and eating with no problems. Nothing has progressed so hopefully this means we're in the clear. I will continue to leave him in quarantine until it has been a full 4 weeks just for good measure.

Nice looking Betta !(y)
Good luck with him ,he is impressive [coming from a non betta person].
I would guess the spots are coloring ,he looks very healthy IMO.

Awesome Betta. Idk, he looks good to me. Maybe he's so perfect that any slight imperfection seems horrible....[emoji16]

Thank you very much! I really like him myself :) It appears that it's just his coloring as his behavior hasn't changed nor have the patterns worsened.

Back
Top Bottom