Columnaris?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coldmachineUK

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two black mollies which I've had for some time. Ever since I had them they've been more problematic with ill health than any fish I've kept inc. cichlids and loaches.

I separated the two (both females) after aggression from one to the other caused stress and an outbreak of whitespot. Since then, in two separate tanks, each fish has independently developed white blotches which look a little like fungus but which isn't fluffy or cottony in the same way. These blotches sometimes look like raised scales (sometimes severely raised), and are usually on the top, side and mouth of the fish.

I originally treated with pimafix, melafix AND esHA exit whitespot since two of these are herbal based and the whitespot treatment is for sensitive fish (i keep loaches in both tanks with these mollies).
The symptoms cleared on that occasion after a few days.

However, I'm now experiencing it a 2nd time and am concerned about the causes and the specifics of the problem.

I should point out: at no point before, during or after the outbreak of this ailment do any of my other fish exhibit similar symptoms. They all seem absolutely fine.

I will try and post a photo as soon as I can. In the meantime I wondered if it might be columnaris, and if so has anyone else experienced this and treated it?
I've already googled it so I'm not after info on what it is, just people's tips and advice etc.
I would guess that's its not a chronic case b/c my fish haven't died within 24hrs...

Does anyone think a salt dip might be beneficial and if so how would you recommend I conduct this? Never done a salt dip before!

I used to have a pair of sailfin mollies that i kept in a fw tank and they both developed white splotches on their bodies in particular around their mouths like you said, i did treat them with melafix and and they would quickly clear up too, but they would keep reappearing. they lived like this for about a year, then one day the female just died. the male stuck around for a while, but eventualy he died too. somebody told me that mollies are really a brackish water fish and require some sort of salt in their water, either aquarium or marine salt. without it they are prone to skin problems. i dont know how true that is, but thats about the best i can do for you! sorry. do you add aqaurium salt to your tank? if not i would try doing that. good luck!

It may very well be columnaris. I had 2 black mollies that went through columnaris and yours sounds similiar but my mollies died within a couple of days. Also my mollies never had scales sticking out. That part sounds similar to dropsy. You should a quick search for dropsy and see if that seems more like what your mollies have.

Depending on the other tank mates you could add salt but be careful depending what you have for tankmates. While it is true that mollies prefer salt, most lfs mollies have been bred to live in FW with no difficulties. A salt dip may be worth a try. I have not done it myself but have heard others use a clean pail, not used for cleaning or anything before. I've heard 4 tsp per gallon of tank water. Place fish in bucket when salt is disolved and keep it there for anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. You must keep an eye on the fish for any signs of distress. I repeat I have never done a salt bath, this is information I have received from others.

Have you tested your water parameters? When was your last water change?

Well the white blotches around scales make them stand out, it's definitely not dropsy.
I've used aquarium salt before when treating whitespot, and wondered if that might help: I'll add some and see if it's any use.
I do have two botia in with one, and four schistura in with the other, so I do have to be careful, yes.

I may decide to put them in with a brackish puffer eventually, to see if a more salty environment is beneficial for them in the long run. I agree with you though zagz: the two I have are both FW having been bred in FW. I just wonder if salt might contribute to a more healthy life in the long term.

Water changes take place every Wednesday and Saturday of each week, of about 15-20% each time. Params get measured before the change each time, and they're fine. I also gravel vac at the same time: that's why I was confused when descriptions of columnaris say 'unclean aquariums' as a cause! :O These two tanks are definitely not dirty, and my loaches are the 'canaries' of them both: first sign of trouble and I'll know it from them, not from the mollies!

Ok, I will try the salt dip and see if that helps. I'd rather risk a short term treatment than have them go through this in the long term. I'll just keep my eye on the fish when I dip them and will go for 10-15mins first off watching for distress.

Btw f4f, brackish fish would need marine salt not aquarium salt (which isn't suitable for anything other than a tonic) :)

Thanks for the info and experiences, it's really appreciated! I'm not so hot on diseases, so I tend to panic when I see something amiss!!!

I do believe that in general mollies do better with salt in the water. There are full brackish mollies out there. FW mollies would have to be acclimated over time to brackish conditions. Keep us updated on how they are doing.

Quick update: I left off the salt dip treatment for now. I really would rather not distress the fish any more than I have to; for now I have stuck to pimafix treatment knowing that if columnaris is a type of bacteria infection it may help. The blotches are less pronounced, but still there after 3 days of treatment: I know by now if it was serious the fish would have died and they've come through a bout before (the other molly had it first, now this 2nd one has it in a different tank). So, I'll keep up treatment for another 4 days and see if there's any improvement. If not, then I will go for the salt dip. The molly in question seems a bit more active though she hovers near the top periodically which is not a good sign.

Thx for the confirmation that it's columnaris though. My other fish seem ok for the time being still...I'm praying it stays that way!

Back
Top Bottom