Columnaris?! Mouth Fungus?! Mouth Rot?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Congo Tetras have weird deformed mouths! They're grey, and I can see white teeth, over bites and one has bump under its mouth! I haven't done much but use some generic Melafix from walmart. (Ordered the API Melafix, won't arrive till Tuesday) I assumed it might be cottenmouth or columnaris because my African Leaf Fish lips are white!! And one of the Australian rainbowfish has white on his mouth as well. The Angelfish and Featherfin Catfish seem to look fine. Might I add that all the fish including the congo tetras are acting normal and showing no sign of sickness besides their mouths.

I would REALLY appreciated any advice because I spent way to much money on these fish and I'd probably die a little if they died.
Tested With API MASTER KIT​
Ph 7.5 (7.6 on Ph and 7.4 on high)
Ammonia .25ppm (No matter how many water changes, it stays the same)
Nitrites 0ppm,
Nitrates 10ppm

Tap:1ppm Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates, Ph 7.5

55 gallon aquarium, 4+ Years Old with Aquaclear 70 Filter, 300gph
5 Congo Tetras (2-3in.)
1 African Leaf Fish95in.)
1 Pleco(2-3in.)
1 Featherfin Catfish(5in.)
2 Australian Rainbowfish (4in, planning on getting rid of them but not sure how)
1 Angelfish (5in)

I did a 25% Water Change yesterday and all fish are over a year old.
Recently added new plants such as Java Fern, Anacharis & Water Wisteria and a little pleco. Currently have driftwood soaking outside. I feed the fish the same plain diet as always;Aqueon Flakes and Aqueon Shrimp Pellets

I tried looking up medicine to cure what might be cottenmouth but there was so many responses, I didn't know what to buy. Some said Pimafix, Kanaplex, Methylene Blue, Metro Plex, Melafix, Maracyn 1 and 2, Furan 2, Aquarium Salt and Garlic. The list goes on. I was overwhelmed so I just decided to ask you guys for myself and see what's your input. I can definitely post more pictures if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1257.jpg
    IMG_1257.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1328.jpg
    IMG_1328.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1314.jpg
    IMG_1314.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_1312.jpg
    IMG_1312.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 107
MORE PICTURES :ermm:

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpg
    IMG_1313.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 207
Very nice fish.
I would simply order either of these,Antibiotic Fish Flake Food and feed them for a week just to "clear them out" to be, on the safe side.
I could send you to petsmart to get a 8 pack of maracyn 2, but in the long run, these foods actually work BETTER and will last you YEARS for HALF the price. Any reason not too?
The "fixes" like melafix, primafix, dont really work except for pure fungus, something that is rare and only a secondary infection, they dont work because they dont kill the underlying bacteria (flex. columnaris, aeromonas, pseudomonas) that cause fin rot.
If you feel you must go with the powder form, know that kanamycin will work fine in hard water, but the tetracyclines are rendered innefective in hard water. Powder antibiotics bind to calcium in the water and loose alot of their effectiveness.
Heres a list of Gram negative antibiotics to treat mouth fungus/tail rot
Kanamycin
Oxytetracycline
Minocycline
Tri-sulfa
Nice tetras btw!

The one congos lower mouth is funny?
Does it ever retract?
I had Congos before and you can see the teeth!
Your other fish do not look sick or infected IMO in any of the pictures.
Therefore I would not treat? Especially antibiotics...
But if you are convinced it is columnaris the latest cure is 10-14 days of kannaplex and furan2...The combo will discolor water like mad and possible stain silicone on tank for up to a year or more depending on water change schedule...

I might just try a higher quality more appropriate food and a treat of frozen...
The leaf wants real high protein , while other are omnivores?
Have you tried vitamins?
I am not joking as I have read of many ctenopoma developing eye problems without adding them over time...

They are good looking fish...

Very nice fish.
I would simply order either of these,Antibiotic Fish Flake Food and feed them for a week just to "clear them out" to be, on the safe side.
I could send you to petsmart to get a 8 pack of maracyn 2, but in the long run, these foods actually work BETTER and will last you YEARS for HALF the price. Any reason not too?
The "fixes" like melafix, primafix, dont really work except for pure fungus, something that is rare and only a secondary infection, they dont work because they dont kill the underlying bacteria (flex. columnaris, aeromonas, pseudomonas) that cause fin rot.
If you feel you must go with the powder form, know that kanamycin will work fine in hard water, but the tetracyclines are rendered innefective in hard water. Powder antibiotics bind to calcium in the water and loose alot of their effectiveness.
Heres a list of Gram negative antibiotics to treat mouth fungus/tail rot
Kanamycin
Oxytetracycline
Minocycline
Tri-sulfa
Nice tetras btw!

The one congos lower mouth is funny?
Does it ever retract?
I had Congos before and you can see the teeth!
Your other fish do not look sick or infected IMO in any of the pictures.
Therefore I would not treat? Especially antibiotics...
But if you are convinced it is columnaris the latest cure is 10-14 days of kannaplex and furan2...The combo will discolor water like mad and possible stain silicone on tank for up to a year or more depending on water change schedule...

I might just try a higher quality more appropriate food and a treat of frozen...
The leaf wants real high protein , while other are omnivores?
Have you tried vitamins?
I am not joking as I have read of many ctenopoma developing eye problems without adding them over time...

They are good looking fish...

I think you might be right. I'm probably over dramatizing :hide: but I still dosed some methylene blue just in case. I might possibly order some KanaPlex & Furan 2 like you suggested off amazon to ease my paranoia but Idk. I will definitely look into those medicated fish flakes you recommended me because I saw that they treat gram-negative bacteria and the price is good. How long is their shelf life? (Shipping always hurts me but I'll suck it up :banghead:) I just examined the tetras and it looks like it dose retract because it wasn't sticking out I'd also like to note that their tails have always had a black edging so its not tail rot. I'll also get more meater & some frozen food for the leaf fish. Any kind you guys will recommend? Links or where I can get it would be great!

The oxytetracycline flakes will stop gram + and gram - bacteria, and it has an unlimited shelf life because its a synthetic antibiotic. But you have to think after a couple years the other ingredients in the flakes would go bad, and youd have to drop another 6 dollars
Trust me, THEY WORK 100%, better in fact than any powder antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom