Columnaris or Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waterlife35

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I got my betta fish last week and turns out he has velvet (which I started treating 2 days ago - but he came with it) and I've been worried that the white, what looks like scales, on his back could be columnaris or fungus (he also came with this). I'm not sure which it is because everyone is telling me different things and I don't know what to treat him with (if he even needs it). I am treating him now with Multicure which is suppose to cure ich, velvet and fungal diseases. Should I wait and see if his white scales/spots go away with Multicure? If it is columnaris and I don't treat it, he could die right? What do I do?

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4177.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

Hello, out of interest why do you think it is velvet?

If Matt is on air here, his thoughts would be useful.

I'll post what I see imo. I find it very difficult dealing with sick fish straight from the shop as we don't know what infection triggers there were for sure. That might explain the variety of answers.

I'm assuming you are aware of cycled tanks (nitrifying bacteria) and your tank water chemistry / water change schedule is reasonable?

To my eye that doesn't look like fungal. I can't see anything resembling velvet for sure.

It also doesn't look like the columnaris cases I've treated however I'm not ruling out a bacterial infection. Perhaps secondary to poor water conditions - depends how the fish was stocked at the shop.

Since the multi-cure (ingredients?) is in the water I'd stick with that for the moment.

I wouldn't lift the heat just in case it is bacterial.

Also out of interest is what are you getting told?

Last edited:
I thinks its velvet, because if you look at the first pic on his anal and caudal fins he has like a golden rusty peppery look (and several other people agree). Yeah I know about the nitrifying bacteria (and cycled tanks) and I have an API freshwater test kit which I use and make sure the ammonia doesn't go over 0.25ppm (I usually do a water change every third day). I didn't think he had columnaris either but someone gave me a link to the different strains there are and it got me worried. (http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html)

The active ingredients for Multicure are: Malachite Green 0.40mg/ml, Methylene Blue 4.00mg/ml, Acriflavine 2.00mg/ml.
Its suppose to treat white spot, velvet and fungal diseases.
What temp should I keep him at?

I've been told he has a fungal disease, velvet, could be columnaris (and the pet shop I got him at said I did my water changes incorrectly - which is totally wrong cause I have another betta, which I didn't get from them, and he's doing great). All of these I got from different pet shops around me, hoping one would know what it is.
Today he is really pale (although acting normal), I'm really not sure what to do.

I'd stick with the meds for the moment. Temperature not above 76F.

The serious bacterial infections I have seen show lesions with bruised scales, red marks or lacing, scales/flesh eaten away and/or white pimples. High temperatures and bacterial infections have never ended well for me (winter is always a nice stable tank here).

Those meds should have a good chance in minor topical bacterial skin infections (if he does have that) as well as deal with the parasites.

I can see what you mean on the fins. I guess some flashing, gasping at surface or excess mucus would imo help confirm but I tend to prefer two observations to fit a pattern and your eyes would be closest to the action.

Higher temps also increase ammonia toxicity so another reason to be careful on temps (even though a lot of ich / velvet treatments will validly suggest increasing temp to speed up the parasite life cycle). My two cents :).

Last edited:
Sorry i posted something yesterday, but i guess it did not go thru. It does look like it could be columnaris, but since its on a red- white beta i would leave it alone. Not ick or velvet no.
Seems like just his coloration to me.
Was the white coloration near his top side and head there to begin with?
You can easily treat him with an antibiotic feed if you want too, that would cure columnaris, but i really dont see any ick/velvet. That would be another cheap medicine called "Quick cure" you can find at walmart (dont use it tho, hes fine, meds can really be stressful to a fish and their water)
Antibiotics for columnaris and other bacterial ailments in fish.
Kanamycin
Oxytetracycline
Minocycline
Triple sulfa
Find them in flake food form (best this way by far) here angelsplus.com under feeds.

Back
Top Bottom