Columnaris or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rnbwfimmy

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I bought some platies from my ****** lfs and thought I was being good and quarantining them, they looked healthy to me so I put them in my main tank long before I should have. Almost immediately I noticed a white lip on one fish, and on another I noticed a dull grey sheen to part of his body. I put them back in quarantine and resolved to take them back to the store the next day. The next day the one with the off color body(I'm not even sure how to describe it, it was sort of shiny), was bobbing around struggling for life. Fortunately, none of the fish in my main tank showed any synptoms. I assumed it was a noncontagious mold that came from the stress and water quality at the lfs. To add to my pile of mistakes I later went to a different store and got a bunch of bumblebee platys because they were too **** cute and I was sad about my losses. I also got 2 diamond tetra to add to my school and did some water changes on both my tanks. The guy at my store said that the tetra had been there for months and had been through their trials and tribulations and come out strong, so quarantining wasn't necessary. I went ahead and put my two terra in my 55 and my platies in quarantine.
So to make a long story short the platies are alright, only one has the faintest spotting on its tail. But in my main tank the two new diamond tetra have white chins, it looks almost like it could be their coloration but I don't trust it, it's not edged with red like they say columnaris is, nor is it very fluffy. They're massively active and showy, and my other fish are fine. I went to the ****** lfs to get medicine for it just in case and the employee said melafix was the absolute best thing I could use, only to be bombarded with the negative statements about the stuff on forums when I got home. Say what you will about it, it's managed to keep my other fish from getting infected on their nipped fins so far, and it's completely halted anything in the quarantine tank. I do understand however that it might not be effective as a cure. In the meantime, I seriously need to figure out what this truly is. It doesn't look like pics I see of columnaris, but it's so mild, how do I tell? Can melafix actually help for this mild of a case?
I also have like two ich spots on my gourami, probably stragglers from a recent outbreak, I've raised to Temp to hopefully keep them from reinfecting once they drop off, is there any way I could treat both at the same time?

This is the best pic I could get, they're fast little dudes. My waters pretty clear too, they're just in shadow

Attachments

• image-4277324026.jpg
    image-4277324026.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 64
I had a horrible bout with columnaris a while back. All the fish they presented had open sores and had white mouths. Very lethargic and you could tell the next ones to die. I lost over 20 fish in about 2-3 weeks time. I treated with Maracyn and Maracyn plus. I also treated twice a day with salt an lowered my temp.

The picture you posted doesn't look like what I went trough. He's a good read on columnaris. Not sure of its different for other fish as I had African Cichlid's.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/columnaris_disease.php

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

I really hope it's not.

Thanks, they're very active and don't have open sores, I'm just afraid of it being the start of a case. Could it be a fungus? Here's some more pics. Also I'm really sorry about your tank :(

Attachments

• image-282142868.jpg
    image-282142868.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2070313286.jpg
    image-2070313286.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 62
Rnbwfimmy said:
Thanks, they're very active and don't have open sores, I'm just afraid of it being the start of a case. Could it be a fungus? Here's some more pics. Also I'm really sorry about your tank :(

It's hard for me say. If there not really active and sitting in one place. You may to start treating. How many fish in the tank? Do you have a hospital tank? Columnaris will spread fast at least for me it did.

I have those platies in my hospital tank, they seem to be doing better. The two diamond tetra are in my half stocked 55 gallon. They're not acting like they're sick, I'm sort of hoping the melafix will nip it in the bud if it's a mild infection.

Back
Top Bottom