Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Columnaris question? Should I euthanize?

I had a suspected Columnaris outbreak in my five gallon. Iíve lost most of the baby guppies and one adult guppy.

I have currently been treating with Kanamycin/ Furan2. Iím about at the end of that treatment.

Now I have several guppies that look normal but the adult algae eater has been seriously maimed. One eye has completely rotted away and the other one is still covered in a white bubble. Yesterday I thought he was dead and was horrified to find out he was very much still alive. I was thinking I should euthanize him.

Today I come in to find him swimming normally around the tank with normal breathing. The one eye still has the big white bubble. So I am confused as to whether or not I should euthanize him. As for medicine should I do another round of the antibiotics combo? Iím also thinking I need an anti fungal.Is it too much to do another round of abx with anti fungal included. I bought marineland all in one cure but I donít know if that will work. The rep for Marineland said not to mix that with anything. I donít know if itís strong enough for a major illness. Iím trying to do a strong broad spectrum treatment without ruining my remaining fishís organs.

Old 09-17-2018, 02:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would give the fish a break. As you noted this type treatment is also hard on them.

Keeping as perfect water parameters for them as possible would be ideal.

What are your normal tap to tank water parameters?

Do not add any new fish. QT in the future.

The cloudy eye may clear. Fish can live a full long life with one eye.

Just verifying that you do not rinse filter media in untreated tap water during maintenance.

You may opt to try adding some Epsom Salt / magnesium sulfate - no essential oils or anything, just pure Epsom salts to the tank. It has some healing ability. I can give more detail if you are interested.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
column, columnaris, euthanize, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com