Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Comet changing colors?

Old 02-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am going by the title reference you have listed- your comet is developing black fins or coloration? The video is difficult to tell what i am looking at but i see a large number of fish. What size tank is this? How many fish & what type? What are your exact water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph)? Goldfish developing black coloring is typically a sign of ammonia burns. Some more information will help!

Old 02-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If he's still in the ten gallon I'd definitely say there's a good chance of ammonia burns.
5g planted Betta tank
KaylNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dear RoseyCometAquarium,

I have to agree with the above posts. If your comet is in a ten gallon tank, along with the other fishes, it is likely that the black marks are ammonia burns.

Comets and common goldies need a minimum of 30 gallons for the first fish and then 20 for each additional comet/goldie. Goldies--all types need 1 the gallon volume of the tank filtration per hour. Most Goldie owners even with that amount of filtration do 50% water changes weekly. It is very important to test your tank and find the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels to make sure that it is ammonia burns. A comet is a small tank will be stunted and not be able to live a full life or achieve its full adult size (10-12 inches!)

If your lovely comet is alone in a 30 gallon tank and the ammonia is 0, then it might me that your comet is changing colors. But usually it starts on the body of the fish first, then fins changes to a black/taupe/bronze shade and then further changes to another goldie shade. This color changing can continue for at least a year.
Chris+

If you ammoo

Tags
changing, colors, comet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com