Concerned about "crooked" dojo loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

echoezra

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
One of my gold dojo loaches is looking like his crooked, perhaps a little bloated or swollen but not majorly. He is having definite trouble swimming, mostly lying still when startled he sort of thrashes and spins and flops around but not in the usual goofy loachy way, in a disturbed way.
The tank had been neglected lately I will admit. Overdue for a thorough water change, had "topped up" with fresh to tide me over until a day off and forgotten it, twice. The filter hadn't been changed for a while, it was pretty sludgy when I finally did it - so much so that I changed all the media out at once, which I never do. At the same time I moved the tank and switched the substrate out to sand.
I've been seeing more of everyone and seeing them better in the new location, that's when I noticed this guy looking strange. I don't believe it is due to the tank changes, I think this happened before and I'm just noticing it now.
Oh there was also a little stretch before the last last water change where the light had burnt out so they had no light for a little while. Not sure if that makes a difference.
So - basically - I know about what I've done wrong in neglecting my tank care. I'm taking steps to correct that. It looks great now, everything is all fresh and clean and everybody is Loving their new sand. The dojos will be getting a tank upgrade next month, I just need this snow to go away so I can get at our hose (I don't have a bathtub. )

I'm just looking for probable diagnoses on what specifically might be wrong with him so I can research it and how to help him.

As for the other fish:

The other 3 dojos seem fine.

One other fish, Driveway, his body is looking slightly crooked, but he's swimming fine still, maybe looking slightly twitchy? sometimes when he's hovering in one spot, but then looks fine the rest of the time. and maybe very slightly panting sometimes but again then looks fine. But he's also been out WAY more than he ever is during the day - we've barely seen him the last couple of years he's always under the log with the kuhli loach whenever it isn't dark. He's been swimming all around the new tank setup exploring and looking like a happy new fish, except that I'm concerned his shape may have changed. It's hard to judge since I saw so little of him though. So it might be nothing and completley unrelated to the dojo, maybe it's just from hiding under a log for two years. Lol. the twitching and panting are really very slight, he doesn't look terribly distressed or anything.

None of the other fish are doing any of that, flopping, twitching or panting at all that I can tell.

I have the dojo separated out into a bowl for the day so I could see him better, take a pic and if I needed to treat or feed him something special I could without disturbing the others.
I'm not sure how to attach a pic on this new android app, but I have taken a couple if you want to see them but he's on his side so it doesn't show the crooked as much but the possibly slightly bloated body shape. I'm hoping maybe it just means he's been a piggy and he's constipated and maybe that feed him peas thing might do the trick?? Crossing my fingers.
Thanks for your help.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I figured out how to attach a picture. Here's my poor little fella. Tell me what you think please.

Attachments

• 1394406622585.jpg
    1394406622585.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 237
Ok still no replies. A few updates. He is still isolated in the bowl. I offered some food last night, and some broccoli (I had no peas or cucumber in the house) No interest or ability perhaps to take food. Before bed I added a little bit of colloidal silver to his bowl.
This morning, he is still not moving unless I disturb the bowl. Then he is still swimming all erratic and thrashy. He only pants a little after those thrashy swims, otherwise he is just lying there still.
In other news, this morning I got a better look at the fourth loach than I could yesterday - pretty sure he is in the same boat. He isn't on his side, and isn't as thrashy, but when he takes off it's definitely more erratic than the others and his spine is definitely bent, just not as much of an arched back as this guy.
These two are the most recent and came in at the same time btw - the first and second one still seem fine, as does my kuhli loach.
Any ideas what it could be? Anyone?

This is a shot of the second (not as bad) guy from above. Not too clear through the water but you can sort of make out the S - bend he's got going on. The other guy has that more exagerated, and a bigger arch or hunchback too.

Attachments

• 1394454942902.jpg
    1394454942902.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 119
Looks like a spinal deformity to me. Did the bent spines show up after you 'neglected' the tank, or before?

Well, I didn't notice it early on and this crazy erratic swimming is definitely a new development. But just how long these bends have been progressing I can't say because these two were especially fond of the "under the log fort". So it's possible I missed something cause they were always kind of circling around this log you know around corners and peeking out halfway stuff not super straightened out in the open.

Well still not too much helpful replying going on i see. :( Anyway, the first guy, he finally passed away today. Wondering if I should remove the second guy from the main tank. Wasn't sure, since I didn't know if it was something contagious or not, that's why I was hoping someone would reply with some possible ideas.

Not that anybody seems to be paying attention, but my second loach that I did remove, he also died. On a possibly unrelated note, my bamboo shrimp - 7 of the 9 have all shed their skin this week. They all seem fine and happy, but it's unusual for them to all shed at the same time. What does that usually indicate?

I think it purely means that their growing? I'm very sorry for you lose, thesis the first time I've seen this thread.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping and assuming, it just seemed so strange, like 3 or 4 on the same day is very unusual for these guys, wondered if maybe there was a secondary possible cause that would trigger a shed that I should know about. Thanks though. :)

Back
Top Bottom