Concerned About Fire Eel...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fhqwhgads

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello out there. :)
I've recently received a Fire Eel as a gift. I'm not too sure that I know much about them and would appreciate anyone's help or advice that they could give. I have done some fair research about them on the net but I've found that to be really limited also. I've never had an eel in any of my community tanks so I'm a novice to owning one. Upon close inspection of him (me looking into my tank from about 3 inches away) I've noticed that he's got some kind of slime substance on him. I don't think this is normal and does make me quite concerned. It looks like mucus (the kind a slug gives off but in water.) Anyone know what this is, or what might be causing it? Could it be something fungal or bacterial? Also, if anyone could share experiences with these eels I'd really like to hear about them, I really think that they're awesome creatures. Thank you.

I agree, they are awesome. I only know one person that's ever kept one so it's likely not too many here know much about them. Try doing a google search. You'll probably get more info then you need.

The mucus looking stuff coming off him, could be a few things, its possible it could be fungal, or bacterial, or, it could be part of their natural response system, they're one of several types of eels that secrete a mucus type substance when they get stressed, it's fairly common wth newly acquired specimens, if it does happen to be fungal, or bacterial, you should start to see some other symptoms, so keep a very close eye on him.

Okay...did the google search, along with all the other sites that ferret listed. Thanks guys! :D Really appreciate it. I'm guessing he's a stressed out little eel by my observations. I've tried to make conditions ideal for him. (i.e. made couple of large caves with rocks, got a whole bunch of anacharis plants and made a mini forrest if he don't like the caves, bought him a whole bunch of live food, which he prefers). This comes to another dilemma...he won't eat frozen bloodworms now. At least his appetites good if anything. Seems normal as far as behavior goes...listless during the days, active during the nights. If this mucus substance happens to be some kind of sickness though, what is some signs that I should be looking for? So far, so good...except for the fact I don't know how to close filtration system cause he's starting to make that a home or something. In the past few days I had to scoop em out of there twice, all attempts of blocking it off were unsucessful. Ahh HELP ME :!: I got issues. 8O Well...wish me luck. :( Thanks again for all the info and help.

Okay...did the google search, along with all the other sites that ferret listed. Thanks guys! :D Really appreciate it. I'm guessing he's a stressed out little eel by my observations. I've tried to make conditions ideal for him. (i.e. made couple of large caves with rocks, got a whole bunch of anacharis plants and made a mini forrest if he don't like the caves, bought him a whole bunch of live food, which he prefers). This comes to another dilemma...he won't eat frozen bloodworms now. At least his appetites good if anything. Seems normal as far as behavior goes...listless during the days, active during the nights. If this mucus substance happens to be some kind of sickness though, what is some signs that I should be looking for? So far, so good...except for the fact I don't know how to close filtration system cause he's starting to make that a home or something. In the past few days I had to scoop em out of there twice, all attempts of blocking it off were unsucessful. Ahh HELP ME :!: I got issues. 8O Well...wish me luck. :( Thanks again for all the info and help.

Back
Top Bottom