Concerned Betta mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crowsmuse

Aquarium Advice Regular
i will use the sick fish template to find out whats going on with my betta:
then i will post the small story about him beneath that, i had put it in another thread, but noone responded:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? male crown betta

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)?
ammonia - 0
nitrite -0
nitrate -0
temp - usually 72, now at 76-80 in sick tank
PH - 7.6 (my ph has always been this level, i have been told to leave it on many occasions)

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
he was in my 80g community tank until this week - gravel with large lava rocks, moved from plastic to live plants he had his own weighted log and one floating, see pic on my profile

now he is in his own 5.5g since his behavior changed - ecocomplete gravel with live plants and one smooth 2 level rocklike decoration, and his floating log

i wanted to give him peace and space

4~What type of filtration are you using?
in 80g i had aquaclear 110
in this new 5.5 i am using the filter that came with topfin 5.5g, its a topfin filter, with intake

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
in old 80 g -was him, 2 angels, 6 zebra danios, 7 rummy nose tetras, and 2 otos, noone ever bugged anyone else, its alot of space, and they got along well
now he is alone in 5.5g

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
in 80g i do 20% every other week, cleaning a portion of gravel each time, i read in a book that i should not do all gravel at once.

he just moved into 5.5, i used 50% new water, treated with stress coat and betta fix (and flourish for plants) and 50% water from the cycled 80g he came from. tested water with api before moving to make sure all parameters were same

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

i have had him since 10/22/2012 - he and the others, except otos were part of the tank cycling

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
changed from plastic to live plants a couple of weeks ago, the usually untouched gravel was disturbed creating alot of debris, please refer to my first post ever titled: Scared and needing advice

in the 5.5 he has eco complete substrate, with a couple of live plants, a smooth 2 tiered fake rock and his floating log

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

they get flake food, and the occasional frozen bloodworm treat
in his new tank he refuses to eat, i tried betta pellets, flakes and bloodworms

now here is my story:
My boy (honey badger) started doing a 180 about 2weeks ago. He was always out swimming around, checking things out, and if honey was sleeping , he would come out when I came close. He shares an 80 gallon with 2 angels, 2 Otos, 7rummy nose and 6 zebra danios.
They never pick on him, and he didn't bother them, they were interested in one another but respectful, they had a lot of space, life was good, for 6 months, all but the Otos were part of the tank cycling together .

Then honey started hiding alot, he was no longer playful, barely showed interest in food. His color started to get dull.
then 4 days ago he didn't even come out to eat, we couldn't find him most of the time so I kept the lights low, (blue LEDs instead of full bright whites) and still for 2 days .. No honey at all.
So I picked up a 5 gallon tank last night, put soft live plants, his floating log, and a tiered soft rock.
We added half of the water from his tank, and half fresh, I added betta fix as well.

When we put him in, he sank , sat at the bottom..
Then he got sucked and stuck to, the intake, we freed him then put a decorations and some plants around it so it wouldn't happen again.

He has not left that floating log, I wasn't even sure he was alive, but his fins were moving, and he came out for a brief, very brief minute when i put in a couple of flakes and a couple of pellets , wanted to give him a choice.
The log just floats around and around and honey stays i it,
i anchored the log, and he sits in it unmoving, sometimes squashing himself under the filter or next to the heater.
he runs away from us and hides, thats it
I afraid I'm going to lose him.

Betta died, help no longer needed :(

Post can be deleted

Back
Top Bottom