Confused about deworming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebjornsgard

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a single Dwarf puffer in a 5 gallon tank, and I'm trying to figure out if he is sick, and if he is, what kind of treatment is needed. I know that it was wild-caught, so there is a high likelihood of internal parasites. He is really skinny, even though I feed him. His stomach fills out when he eats, but quickly sucks back in. I feed him bladder and pond snails, and sometimes freeze dried baby shrimp (tetra brand). I have tried blood worms (frozen) twice but he has not taken to them yet. I've had him about 3-4 months. His tank was cycled and the water parameters have been closely monitored, as they are sensitive.
I am trying to breed snails in a mini tank (like one of those too-small Betta tanks) and am slowly having success. The only thing is that I have noticed some very small, white, skinny worms in that tank, as well as what I think to be planaria. The water came from the main tank, so I'm thinking both may have some of those?

My question is, assuming he has internal parasites, which I'm about 95% certain he does, how should I treat them? I know that there are some medications you can use, but because he is such a picky eater and the only one in the tank, I was hoping there was something I could add to the table water, and not have to get him to eat it. And if anyone has tips about getting rid of stringy worms and planaria in a snail breeding tank, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Hi! I am quite new to fishkeeping so I may be completely wrong but it is likely that the little worms are detritus worm which are harmless (just need better cleaning and not overfeed). Also the deed puffers I think they need to live in a school of 6 or so. Praziquantel is the best thing I think to treat internal parasites but I am not sure about doses, and it is an oral medication. Hopefully you will have some more answers! Good luck!

Prazi is safe and easy to use.It is absorbed by fish while it is in the water column so no need to mix with food or worry if fish is eating.It deals with some of the worms found in tanks.
Praziquantel as an Aquarium Fish Treatment for Worms, etc.
Next would be Metronidazole to treat other worms not impacted by the prazi..
Deworming | Discus Fish for Sale - CLC Discus Enterprise

The worms in snail tank are from overfeeding IMO and will subside when tank is cleaned up.
IMO most tanks have detritus worms and they are just not seen or in numbers large enough to be noticed by most.
The planaria should also subside with same treatment ,but if they do not you might want to look into fenbendazol .

Thank you for the information. I saw both praziquantel and metronidazole while I was researching, but the articles were confusing and I wanted to make sure I get the right medication.

Back
Top Bottom