Constipation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kreesdqban

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was reading this article that was talking about constipation: Aquarium Fish Constipation

I was wondering if herbivore foods would be a good enough source of fiber as live food or peas. I have a platy that has feces that hangs pretty long and was wondering if herbivore foods would cure it of its constipation (if thats what he has).

"Herbivore food" like goldfish pellets don't work for my goldfish (an omnivore) ... maybe it will work for carnivores, but I think "real" unprocessed food is still best.

Constipation is usually when a fish can not go. They can get bloated and develop swimming problems. I find that frozen peas still work the best like jsoong says.

Yeah the article mentioned peas. Can they be regular frozen-food-section peas or do they have to be a special kind? Also, do I wash them and throw them in frozen or thawed out?

Nuke them in the microwave for a few secs until thawed, peel off the thin skin around the outside and cut up the inner part. Toss them in the tank. The fish love 'em and they work!

in my experience i have found that either peas that have been shelled, which means taking out the gooey inside, or romaine lettuce. after my fish had some of it the constipation cleared up right away. if your fish can not eat scoop some into its mouth with chop sticks, don't use anything metal or your fingers!

Back
Top Bottom