Contemplating This Treatment Process for Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desert Sea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
While feeding the fish today I noticed white spots on a few of the black neon tetras and my male swordtail. Unfortunately it looks as though the tank has Ich. Because the tank is a planted tank with shrimp, I can't dose medicine (Cupramine) directly into the tank. This make things a little more difficult.

I was considering using a method similar to the TTM quarantine method with the addition of dosing Cupramine and looking for feedback on my approach. The first step would be to set up a separate bare bottom quarantine tank and bring it to temp. Move all the fish into it and dose with Cupramine. Leave fish in this tank for 3 days. Setup 2nd quarantine tank and move fish on day 4 and dose with Cupramine. Again leave the fish in there for 3 days. Wash and let tank #1 dry completely. Repeat this cycle for 15 days. Once done keep all fish in quarantine tank with filtration and observe for any further signs on Ich.

While the fish are going through the TTM and treatment process, the main display will stay up and running with the plants and the shrimp. Tank will most likely have to stay fallow for about 72 days to be sure all of the cysts are gone. Once that time has elapsed, move fish back into main tank.

I'm curious as to what you all think. Please share your thoughts.
Thanks.

Sure that will work . A lot of work though . I have used elevated temp and Kordon Ich Attack with great success in the past . The Kordon is shrimp safe I think .

I was wondering on the temp as well and if you can lift that in the main tank. If you have caught it quick enough, the heat treatment method at 86F should work.

I want to make sure that I eradicate it. Will raising the temp kill off any cysts that may be in the substrate? Also I didn't mention it earlier but there is a batch of 2 week old fry in the main tank (in a separate nursery tank). Will the elevated temp bother the fry?

Raising the temp would surely be easier than doing the TTM and medication route but I want to be sure to eliminate it.

I want to make sure that I eradicate it. Will raising the temp kill off any cysts that may be in the substrate? Also I didn't mention it earlier but there is a batch of 2 week old fry in the main tank (in a separate nursery tank). Will the elevated temp bother the fry?

Raising the temp would surely be easier than doing the TTM and medication route but I want to be sure to eliminate it.

I can't comment with the fry. My experience with the heat method is that it works but I don't know if it kills off the cysts directly or interferes with the ich cycle somewhere else.

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

I'm going to try the path of least resistance and try the heat method you guys are suggesting. I'll keep a close eye on progress. If I have to, I can move on to the TTM method if the heat doesn't do the trick.

Thanks for the feedback.

Back
Top Bottom