convict cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HouLiGaN

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just added a convict chichled to my tank , its my first fish...

At first he went and sat in one area in the middle of the tank where i have a bubble thing that makes bubbles :p...

Then i added him some food (flakes) and when they sank and they where moving around he went and eat them, i got quit excited, now he is on the groung of the tank swiming a bit here and there but hes not swiming up and down just going around on the ground...

30 minites have passed, should i be worried? is it normal? i mean is he just trying to get used to the tank?

:thanks:

Okay , we'll when I add a flake she chases after it xexe , it also likes hiding behind the main deco , I added a small empty plant pot to the tank so sometimes I find her hiding in there , the funny thing is , if I have the lights closed and the room is dark she swims , once I put them on she swims like mad to find somewhere to hide , so I found switching of the light and approaching her with my phones light on slowly working for me , I hope untill tomorrow everything will be okay , so I won't have to be worried about anything :)

Whats your water parameters?
Is your tank cycled?
Do you have an api master test kit?

Chances arw he is just getting used to the tsnk

jwh0818
1) i dont know what the parameters are
2) I did cycle my tank
3) I dont have a api master kit ( but im going to purchase one soon,once i save some $)

And yes, i think he was a bit shy to be honest, today hes swiming around alot, but once i make a sudden move, he goes and hides behind the main deco :p xexe

AngelFishGirl

I live in cyprus and in the summer trust me we dont need a heater, more like a cooler, it can become 40c here, that is like 104 F, and the water can go up to 86 F by its self , on what ive seen from my friends Fw Fishtank.

Another thing i will be looking to invest in is a heater but i will wait for october to come , when the weather starts to cool down.

& about the tank size, when i purchased it , they told me its around 15 gal, but when i see other tanks in pictures videos etc, i come to believe i own a 20g tank...

jwh0818
2) I did cycle my tank
3) I dont have a api master kit ( but im going to purchase one soon,once i save some $)

And yes, i think he was a bit shy to be honest, today hes swiming around alot, but once i make a sudden move, he goes and hides behind the main deco :p xexe

Okay well it is very appointment that you know what the parameters are. I would say be doing water changes a ton until you know.

jwh0818
2) I did cycle my tank

how exactly did you "cycle" the tank? 8 days is not long enough for a cycle......

Yes a tank CAN cycle in 8 days with or without fish!!! Ive done it plenty of times just using ammonia and no fish.

if you have established material and a test kit, yes i know I've done it before but i don't think the OP actually cycled the tank

Yes a tank CAN cycle in 8 days with or without fish!!! Ive done it plenty of times just using ammonia and no fish.

I used medicine, that makes bacteria etc for ammonia i was using it for 8-9 days before i got the fish so like on the 9-10th day i added the fish. lost count of the dayssss, I also used deco that was previosly in a other Fw fishtank that has been runing for a few years now.

From what i read if you add deco etc that has been in previos Fw Fishtanks etc, the cycle can be done in like 2-3 days, well i had them in for 9 days and + i was adding the medicine that a lot of people suggested me to get and previosly used for around a week and then added the fish.

I also read somewhere that adding fish food will speed it up, so i added a bit of food the first day, but i think that didnt do nothing for i never had a clue xexe...

One question, if i do a WC should i add medicine that kills the clorine?

thank you Guys

I used medicine, that makes bacteria etc for ammonia i was using it for 8-9 days before i got the fish so like on the 9-10th day i added the fish. lost count of the dayssss, I also used deco that was previosly in a other Fw fishtank that has been runing for a few years now.

From what i read if you add deco etc that has been in previos Fw Fishtanks etc, the cycle can be done in like 2-3 days, well i had them in for 9 days and + i was adding the medicine that a lot of people suggested me to get and previosly used for around a week and then added the fish.

I also read somewhere that adding fish food will speed it up, so i added a bit of food the first day, but i think that didnt do nothing for i never had a clue xexe...

One question, if i do a WC should i add medicine that kills the clorine?

thank you Guys

Yes always add water conditioner no matter what

Back
Top Bottom