convict with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Price839

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear god,
i would like to go in and fight the lady who sold me my convicts, this morning i wake up and look at my fish and the male was on the complete other end of the female...i found this peculiur i mean the female was at the top right he was in the bottom left, i noticed some color change so i assumed that he was just stressed about the move in, so i took a close look at my female to see how she was handling things....AAHHH i find white spots just begining to form on her side

what treatment method do you guys recomend for convicts with Ich
ANYTHING would help

and yes in case your wondering i am a rookie at these things

and yes in case your also wondering i have them in seperate tanks now

Raise the temperature to over 86F. Leave it that way until at least two week after the last signs of ich are gone. Up the amount of O2 in the water by either adding an airstone or lowering the water level if you use an HOB filter.

Keep an eye on the male also - ich is contagious so it might already be "in the tank". If he looks like he's starting to rub against things, or if you see any spots, then raise the temp there also.
Water changes also help since one of the stages of ich is free floating.

I would treat both tanks since it won't cost a fortune in meds--all you need to do is raise the temp. Both tanks/containers need filters and heaters. Based on other posts you have made, you're tank is probably not cycled (go back to the reads provided in your other post). This will cause further stress. Depending on where you got these fish from, it may be possible to return them (I know a lot of stores will not let you do that). You have lots of reading to do and that will help you understand why the fish are stressed and how you can help them. One thing you need right now is a test kit. The liquid ones are best and you should get the tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH right away. You can find most of them in a Master Kit. Ammonia and nitrites will further stress your fish and can only be eliminated by PWC. If you go to the store, DO NOT buy meds to treat the ich or chemicals to lower the ammonia and nitrite levels. Those chemicals are not worth the bottles they are sold in.

It may or may not be relevant but you failed to include tank size and tankmates. I would do a PWC frequently, which adding aquarium salt with the new fresh water. Also I would try an antiparasitic treatment such as Rid-Ich. Raising the temperature would be the third suggestion as already mentioned. One of my first pair of oscars got hit with Ich hard within the first week of being home with me. The first day I caught it and immediately began treatment. Symptoms progressed and within 3 days I had a deceased fish. Ich strikes hard and fast so whatever you do, make it drastic. It may seem stressful on your fish at fish, but they may end up appreciating it long term. Wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted.

my convict doesnt have ich
her scales are damaged
which im pretty sure is from my male
more importantly though she is fading fast
heres what i know:
her fins are ragged
her scales on both sides are damaged
and she has become immobile she only moves her side fins
nothing else
and i mean nothing else
she isnt even swimming, just floating around, and not floating straight shes off to one side

so WHAT is going on?
fin rot? cuz of the fins being all ragged
Swim Bladder Disease? cuz of the lack of stabilty
or just death in general?

It doesn't matter at this point you need to monitor the recovery, cuz there's obviously some open body wound that'll become infected and kill the fish unless you take care of the water. This may come of a bit of a surprise to you but convicts are an aggressive fish, and will kill their tankmates being the circumstances are right. It's hard for me to get an idea of the predicament when you don't include tank(s) size involved and what tankmates are with the convicts.

shes dead so it doesnt matter

i put this up earlier but apparently it was in some 12 hour restriction cuz i was the last post
i had a male and female convict in a 5.5 gallon tank
with an oto for cleaning
i know WAY to small LFS told me id be fine as long as i kept an eye on the reproduction

yea i know its on my agenda
i already owe my parents $105
and Mcdonalds wages only buy so much

You can get a 29g setup for $120 from Petco (I know I work for them!). "Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. You grandparents had a different word for burger flipping; they called it opportunity." Last I checked McDonalds wages were on the rise--- this 5-6$/h stuff is almost done away with nowadays. Best of luck with what you have. When the time comes to upgrade start up a thread and we'll take care of ya. :D

i didnt say it was beneth my dignity, i have no problem working there
all i was saying is that i already owe my parents money
so it might be a bit
which is unfair to the fish but its all i can do
also we dont have a petco anywhere near where i live
and i make 5.25 an hour so it hasnt been done away with yet

Back
Top Bottom