Convict's vertebrae may be protruding, or she has a strange parasite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been out of town for the past week so unfortunately I don't know when the problem started but I just noticed this evening that my female convict appears to have vertebrae sticking out on her right side, maybe half an inch from her caudal fin. What's sticking out looks mostly white with a tiny spot of red in the very center, and in diameter I'd say it's about the same size as the eye of a betta fish.

After looking online at different FW parasites I couldn't find anything that matched what I saw which is why I believe it's an injury but I'm not certain. I tried to catch her to get a better look and possibly put her in QT but gave up after several attempts because I don't want her to hurt herself further. Also tried taking pictures but she seems to be guarding that side and keeps swimming with her right side along the back wall or rocks. If I get close to the tank she darts away.

Tank is a 55gal and she's the largest of the fish in there - angelfish, Bolivian rams, BN pleco, cory cats, tiger barbs, and black skirt tetras. Water parameters are all ok and water temp at 76.

If this is an injury, what can I do to help her? If it's not, does anyone have an idea on a diagnosis?

Thanks.

I was finally able to get some pictures of her side, I know neither is close-up but hope these help. She doesn't look any worse today but I don't think that she's eating. I'm going to try to move her to the QT tomorrow once the water temp is up just so there will be less for her to hurt herself on.

I'd really appreciate any advice on how to help her.

I hope someone who can help replies soon! Id like to see what they have to say as well.

Back
Top Bottom