Corey with drained color and bubble/growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iheartcories

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 2 sterbai cories and a pleco.
Just this morning I noticed that one of the cories has almost completely lost color -- or possibly is just covered in something white? He has a growth, but it almost looks like he has a small thin white bubble on him rather than a cotton like growth that I have heard described with fungus. He is also breathing rapidly. I will say that this fish has been hiding more recently so it could be he has been sick longer and only came out to show me today...

The other two fish don't seem to be affected at the moment, but they're also good at quickly finding a new hiding spot when I try to inspect them.

The corey that looks fine has seemed stressed for the past week or so, having random bouts of frantically swimming around the tank as if trying to escape -- I haven't been able to figure out why.

Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Around 20...I always have trouble matching the color on this test.
Temp: 78 degrees F

I'll be honest and say that since I got a new API Freshwater Master Test Kit 2 months ago I have NEVER had readings other than what I listed above. Is it possible for me to have a dud kit? I don't see how it's possible for me to have kept getting normal water readings but then have a fish this sick, seemingly overnight.

The tank is a 20 gallon. I used to have a 10 gallon tank for about 2 years, then transferred everything and everyone over about 3 weeks ago. Since the transfer I have been running both filters. For the first week I tested the water every day and everything stayed consistent.

The filter from the 10 gallon tank is a the topfin that came with the tank starter kit that I bought.
The new filter for when I remove the old one (the new one is currently also running) is a Fluval C2.

I just did a 50% water change. I usually change 1-2 gallons of water and vacuum the sand once a week.

I have had all three fish for about 2 months. I used to have two skunk cories but one of them decided to make a jump for it when I was making the big switch in tank sizes and died a week later -- I'm assuming from stress. The second skunk began acting depressed -- not swimming much, not eating much -- and died about 2 weeks after his friend. That second death was a week ago.

I feed the fish top fin tropical flakes with about a fourth of an algae wafer for the pleco. When I did the 50%pwc there WAS a lot of uneaten food in the cave when I lifted it which has me worried about overfeeding.

Should I treat for fungus, since that what it looks the most like? If so, what should I use? I have about 1.5 year old bottles of API Melafix and Pimafix sitting around but don't know if they're the best.

Also, should I put the fish that is the most sick in a quarantine tank (it would be my old 10 gallon...I'd have to take the old filter out of my new tank though) and ONLY treat that one, or is it likely that the other fish are infected and I just haven't seen it yet so I should leave everything as is and treat the whole tank?

This link should take you to pictures. I'm not a great photographer. One picture shows the difference in color between the two cories.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/53729-albums8885.html

I forgot to mention that I also have some 1.5 year old Jungle Anti-Bacteria Fish Food and Anti-Parasite Fish Food that I could use if it would help.

Back
Top Bottom