cories getting bitten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojobo

Aquarium Advice Activist
My catfish have red marks near the front. I don't know if its because of disease or being bitten. Is it even possible for other fish to bite corydoras near the front? I heard that they have bony plates. Thank you.

Pics? Top or bottom?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The top and the bottom are red. I think it's unlikely that its caused by biting, but I don't want to rule it out. Here are some pictures, I couldn't capture the redness very well, it's like a brighter, pinker color. As you can see, it's somewhere on the head. I don't think this is normal, the pictures I've seen online don't look like this.

imgur: the simple image sharer
imgur: the simple image sharer

what type of substrate? sorry, i should have looked at the photo first...i see it is sand. they can be very sensitive to any nitrites or ammonia. i would first test the parameters.

The problems started when I changed the substrate from gravel. The parameters are all fine.

well, they definitely prefer sand. do you think maybe that changing the substrate caused a spike or mini-cycle?

No there are absolutely no Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates.

i have no experience dealing with red blotch disease but i would look into that...and wait for some others to jump in with their advice. looks similar but i am not sure. good luck.

how many corys do you have? are they all showing this?

I have five corys, two peppered and 3 emeralds. They all show it and it's more serious on the peppered ones. Thanks for the help.

You should have some nitrates, doing the test right?? Shaky shaky til your arm falls off?? Are the corys barbels intact?

The water parameters are fine. Their barbells are fully intact. Im going to just vacuum the gravel, a place looks kind of dirt. Also there are algae problems, i dont know if that could be the cause. Ill take some pics.

Shaky shaky til yur arm falls off??

You have to shake the daylights out of the nitrate testing bottle to get an accurate reading. It is a common issue to see people not think they have any nitrates because they didn't shake the bottle enough. That is what he means.

As for the pink, I am not entirely sure. In the first pics, it looks normal. But, if they all have it...

Would you mind humoring us and telling us how fine the parameters are? People have varying definitions of fine, so we like to ask for specifics, just to make sure. :)

In the pic yes, where's the pic of the cory?

If they all have it? I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's water quality issues, while they can be hardy they can also be sensitive depending on type.. up your wc routine a bit. What are you using for testing?

Api master test kit. Actually, the upper level fish don't have any signs of it. Theyre lampeyed tetras and madagascar rainbowfish.

Back
Top Bottom