Cory Cat has no fins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BubblesBW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some of you know that I'm expecting a new baby and have been struggling to maintain good water quality in my 10 gal tank. My poor fish have been incredibly neglected and I feel absolutely awful for the state that their in, so please if you can contain yourself, don't beat me down for this. I've tried but it has not been easy. I also did try to rehome me betta with no success.
Anyway, one of my cory cats now has no fins. [emoji32] He's like a poor little amputee with two teeny stubs. His tail is half gone and his barbels are gone. He's still pretty active and kind of eating so my question is....what do I do?? How much longer could he last in this state? Is there anything at all that would help him? I'm due any day now so I'm really limited on what I can do, unfortunately.
I feel awful that it's gotten to this point, poor little guy.
Thanks in advance.

Some of you know that I'm expecting a new baby and have been struggling to maintain good water quality in my 10 gal tank. My poor fish have been incredibly neglected and I feel absolutely awful for the state that their in, so please if you can contain yourself, don't beat me down for this. I've tried but it has not been easy. I also did try to rehome me betta with no success.
Anyway, one of my cory cats now has no fins. [emoji32] He's like a poor little amputee with two teeny stubs. His tail is half gone and his barbels are gone. He's still pretty active and kind of eating so my question is....what do I do?? How much longer could he last in this state? Is there anything at all that would help him? I'm due any day now so I'm really limited on what I can do, unfortunately.
I feel awful that it's gotten to this point, poor little guy.
Thanks in advance.
I'm no expert, but the first thing you can do is reduce feeding. Adding doses of prime to the tank will help to. Those are only going to work for so long. The only real solution is water changes.

I know you're in a difficult situation, but that is the only real fix. If you are unable to carry large amounts of water, just use a smaller bucket, or cup. If mobility is a problem, you may want to invest in a python or similar water changing device. You just hook it up to your faicet, drain the watter, then treat the tank, then refill stright from the tap.

my first thought was remove him from that tank to a QTtank so he can recover and not be stressed or picked on

my first thought was remove him from that tank to a QTtank so he can recover and not be stressed or picked on
I don't have another tank for QT. I'm afraid he'll only end up worse if I do that, anyway. I tried that with my betta and it was even harder for me to keep up with the water changes so she just got sicker. The only fish I have are one sick betta and two cory cats. The second cory doesn't seem to be picking on this one so I'm not concerned about that.

Thanks, I'll start with reducing feeding (won't be hard to do with a new baby in the house lol) and changing out the water. I may have to ask someone to help me get it done so it can be changed more often.
How much of a change would you suggest and how often? Usually I change out about 20-40% at a time, trying to keep up every or every-other week. (But I'll be honest, lately they usually go quite a bit longer than that without a change. I feel so bad about it!)
I'm no expert, but the first thing you can do is reduce feeding. Adding doses of prime to the tank will help to. Those are only going to work for so long. The only real solution is water changes.

I know you're in a difficult situation, but that is the only real fix. If you are unable to carry large amounts of water, just use a smaller bucket, or cup. If mobility is a problem, you may want to invest in a python or similar water changing device. You just hook it up to your faicet, drain the watter, then treat the tank, then refill stright from the tap.

Thanks, I'll start with reducing feeding (won't be hard to do with a new baby in the house lol) and changing out the water. I may have to ask someone to help me get it done so it can be changed more often.
How much of a change would you suggest and how often? Usually I change out about 20-40% at a time, trying to keep up every or every-other week. (But I'll be honest, lately they usually go quite a bit longer than that without a change. I feel so bad about it!)
That's hard to answer. If you stocked correctly, 30% a week would most likely do, but if you are over stocked, (which I'm guilty of doing) you may want to do that twice a week.

You also may want to get an API test kit, or the simple test strips sold at Wal-Mart and pet stores. The API lot is better, and over time cheaper, but it takes time to test. The strips are easy, and do a decent job if you don't have a lot time.

Hope all that helps.

Screenshot_20180709-153935.jpgView attachment 309604

There are only the three in a 10 gal so I think I'm okay on not overstocking. I just need to improve my water changing habits.

I do have an API master test kit. I'll be sure to test the water while I get things going again.
Thanks!
That's hard to answer. If you stocked correctly, 30% a week would most likely do, but if you are over stocked, (which I'm guilty of doing) you may want to do that twice a week.

You also may want to get an API test kit, or the simple test strips sold at Wal-Mart and pet stores. The API lot is better, and over time cheaper, but it takes time to test. The strips are easy, and do a decent job if you don't have a lot time.

Hope all that helps.

View attachment 309603View attachment 309604

There are only the three in a 10 gal so I think I'm okay on not overstocking. I just need to improve my water changing habits.

I do have an API master test kit. I'll be sure to test the water while I get things going again.
Thanks!
That's good to hear. Depending on the fish, you shouldn't have too big of a water change once you get it back to safe levels.

Also you may have heard of this stuff. It claimes to reduce the need for changes. I usually use it to help start a tank cycling rather than avoiding water changes, but It may be usefull in your situation. It's going to literally smell like crap, but if you're having a baby, you'll have to get use to that anyways. haha20180708_223137.jpg

To be honest doing many small water changes is better. The clean water is the best for helping the fish heal more quickly.

If you have gravel, vac it out a few times over the next weeks, it won't be hard to see the dirty spots as you vac, focus on those, usually where you feed and the food lands.

In the long run if keeping fish and a new baby is too much, see if you can call a Petco store and they will take them in for you. It usually depends on what kind of adoption fish they already have, if there is room or not or if your fish is too sick.

Thanks, I'll keep all that in mind!
To be honest doing many small water changes is better. The clean water is the best for helping the fish heal more quickly.

If you have gravel, vac it out a few times over the next weeks, it won't be hard to see the dirty spots as you vac, focus on those, usually where you feed and the food lands.

In the long run if keeping fish and a new baby is too much, see if you can call a Petco store and they will take them in for you. It usually depends on what kind of adoption fish they already have, if there is room or not or if your fish is too sick.

Short answer is Yes. [Long answer follows ;)]

Whenever water changes haven't been what they should, it is less stressful for fish to have that worse water changed a bit more gradually.

It lessens the shock of clean water, or the difference between really clean water and really dirty toxic water. Fish often under stressful conditions need a gradual change.

Even if it takes 6 (or 10, as an example) 10% water changes - (also called back to back or b2b) - refill and repeat pwc, to get to a safe level for the fish.

You could divide the time commitment and do half the needed water changes at one time (or get to a safe level) and the other half 8-12 hours later to get to near perfect water quality.

THEN after getting caught up, you can continue at a normal rate of weekly pwc or as needed.

BUT since you have a finless Cory, you want to do what you can. A little bobber Cory with no fins needs ideal water to recover well.

After getting the water refreshed and safe for him and the rest of the fish they can be stronger to heal more quickly since they aren't in a stressful water condition.

Only you will know how to find a bit of time for the pwc needed. The fish are needing regular care. Maybe someone can help you for a small block of time each week say 15-20 min.

This way you can do a nice rotation of maintenance.

Do the necessary pwc amount, a usual base level of 25% is a good place to start.

Weekly PWC plus
Rinse filter pads in treated or tank water put back in
Wipe the inside of the glass if it needs it /remove algae spots, dead leaves
Vac the feeding areas around the front
Check all is in good working order, cords and power strip - no leaks
wipe inside rim where food falls inside the top rim and under it and the glass or hood top of tank, wipe off stand
#5 - happens about 7 months a year
Deep vac or whole filter /other maintenance

This is entirely flexible and you can skip wiping off the tank if it doesn't need it or you don't have time in the same block.

If someone is taking care of the baby, spend the other 10 minutes just enjoying a comforting beverage and watching the tank ;)

As mentioned it might take a couple extra vacuuming times to get the most mucky food out. In that case do worst half one time then the other half the next.

**I like to leave some time (1-2 weeks) between filter rinsing and substrate cleaning as BB grows both places. Not as much in the substrate but why stress the tank if not necessary.

Initially it is nice to get caught up, after that you can be flexible as when having kids THAT is a pretty much a necessity. Congratulations of the new little person to keep you really busy AND delighted.

If you find the tank is really dirty all the time consider feeding even less/changing foods or both.

Also you can get to the point of just spot vac'ing. Many planted tank keepers do little vac'ing. It takes time to learn your tanks needs for care.

Hoping you can enjoy the tank more, soon.

Autumnsky has solid advice. To add to that, I personally would start changing out 40% of the water once a week until your water parameters are steadily low at the end of every week. Then try cutting back to 25% water changes once a week......then check your water parameters at the end of the week and see if you achieve the same water quality.

Autumnsky has solid advice. To add to that, I personally would start changing out 40% of the water once a week until your water parameters are steadily low at the end of every week. Then try cutting back to 25% water changes once a week......then check your water parameters at the end of the week and see if you achieve the same water quality.

Excellent additional info. (y)

Wonderful information, thank you! Unfortunately the finless fishy looks like he won't be with us much longer, poor little guy. I'll be down to just one cory after that. I may try to rehome him and take down the tank for a while. I'll be sure to refer back to this thread when I need it again!
Short answer is Yes. [Long answer follows ;)]

Whenever water changes haven't been what they should, it is less stressful for fish to have that worse water changed a bit more gradually.

It lessens the shock of clean water, or the difference between really clean water and really dirty toxic water. Fish often under stressful conditions need a gradual change.

Even if it takes 6 (or 10, as an example) 10% water changes - (also called back to back or b2b) - refill and repeat pwc, to get to a safe level for the fish.

You could divide the time commitment and do half the needed water changes at one time (or get to a safe level) and the other half 8-12 hours later to get to near perfect water quality.

THEN after getting caught up, you can continue at a normal rate of weekly pwc or as needed.

BUT since you have a finless Cory, you want to do what you can. A little bobber Cory with no fins needs ideal water to recover well.

After getting the water refreshed and safe for him and the rest of the fish they can be stronger to heal more quickly since they aren't in a stressful water condition.

Only you will know how to find a bit of time for the pwc needed. The fish are needing regular care. Maybe someone can help you for a small block of time each week say 15-20 min.

This way you can do a nice rotation of maintenance.

Do the necessary pwc amount, a usual base level of 25% is a good place to start.

Weekly PWC plus
Rinse filter pads in treated or tank water put back in
Wipe the inside of the glass if it needs it /remove algae spots, dead leaves
Vac the feeding areas around the front
Check all is in good working order, cords and power strip - no leaks
wipe inside rim where food falls inside the top rim and under it and the glass or hood top of tank, wipe off stand
#5 - happens about 7 months a year
Deep vac or whole filter /other maintenance

This is entirely flexible and you can skip wiping off the tank if it doesn't need it or you don't have time in the same block.

If someone is taking care of the baby, spend the other 10 minutes just enjoying a comforting beverage and watching the tank ;)

As mentioned it might take a couple extra vacuuming times to get the most mucky food out. In that case do worst half one time then the other half the next.

**I like to leave some time (1-2 weeks) between filter rinsing and substrate cleaning as BB grows both places. Not as much in the substrate but why stress the tank if not necessary.

Initially it is nice to get caught up, after that you can be flexible as when having kids THAT is a pretty much a necessity. Congratulations of the new little person to keep you really busy AND delighted.

If you find the tank is really dirty all the time consider feeding even less/changing foods or both.

Also you can get to the point of just spot vac'ing. Many planted tank keepers do little vac'ing. It takes time to learn your tanks needs for care.

Hoping you can enjoy the tank more, soon.

Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom