Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cory Cat has no fins?

Some of you know that I'm expecting a new baby and have been struggling to maintain good water quality in my 10 gal tank. My poor fish have been incredibly neglected and I feel absolutely awful for the state that their in, so please if you can contain yourself, don't beat me down for this. I've tried but it has not been easy. I also did try to rehome me betta with no success.
Anyway, one of my cory cats now has no fins. He's like a poor little amputee with two teeny stubs. His tail is half gone and his barbels are gone. He's still pretty active and kind of eating so my question is....what do I do?? How much longer could he last in this state? Is there anything at all that would help him? I'm due any day now so I'm really limited on what I can do, unfortunately.
I feel awful that it's gotten to this point, poor little guy.
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesBW View Post
Some of you know that I'm expecting a new baby and have been struggling to maintain good water quality in my 10 gal tank. My poor fish have been incredibly neglected and I feel absolutely awful for the state that their in, so please if you can contain yourself, don't beat me down for this. I've tried but it has not been easy. I also did try to rehome me betta with no success.
Anyway, one of my cory cats now has no fins. He's like a poor little amputee with two teeny stubs. His tail is half gone and his barbels are gone. He's still pretty active and kind of eating so my question is....what do I do?? How much longer could he last in this state? Is there anything at all that would help him? I'm due any day now so I'm really limited on what I can do, unfortunately.
I feel awful that it's gotten to this point, poor little guy.
Thanks in advance.
I'm no expert, but the first thing you can do is reduce feeding. Adding doses of prime to the tank will help to. Those are only going to work for so long. The only real solution is water changes.

I know you're in a difficult situation, but that is the only real fix. If you are unable to carry large amounts of water, just use a smaller bucket, or cup. If mobility is a problem, you may want to invest in a python or similar water changing device. You just hook it up to your faicet, drain the watter, then treat the tank, then refill stright from the tap.

Old 07-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

my first thought was remove him from that tank to a QTtank so he can recover and not be stressed or picked on
Old 07-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
my first thought was remove him from that tank to a QTtank so he can recover and not be stressed or picked on
That's not a bad idea. but at some point you have to change that water.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
I don't have another tank for QT. I'm afraid he'll only end up worse if I do that, anyway. I tried that with my betta and it was even harder for me to keep up with the water changes so she just got sicker. The only fish I have are one sick betta and two cory cats. The second cory doesn't seem to be picking on this one so I'm not concerned about that.
Old 07-09-2018, 03:57 PM   #6

Thanks, I'll start with reducing feeding (won't be hard to do with a new baby in the house lol) and changing out the water. I may have to ask someone to help me get it done so it can be changed more often.
How much of a change would you suggest and how often? Usually I change out about 20-40% at a time, trying to keep up every or every-other week. (But I'll be honest, lately they usually go quite a bit longer than that without a change. I feel so bad about it!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiken5968 View Post
I'm no expert, but the first thing you can do is reduce feeding. Adding doses of prime to the tank will help to. Those are only going to work for so long. The only real solution is water changes.

I know you're in a difficult situation, but that is the only real fix. If you are unable to carry large amounts of water, just use a smaller bucket, or cup. If mobility is a problem, you may want to invest in a python or similar water changing device. You just hook it up to your faicet, drain the watter, then treat the tank, then refill stright from the tap.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Thanks, I'll start with reducing feeding (won't be hard to do with a new baby in the house lol) and changing out the water. I may have to ask someone to help me get it done so it can be changed more often.
How much of a change would you suggest and how often? Usually I change out about 20-40% at a time, trying to keep up every or every-other week. (But I'll be honest, lately they usually go quite a bit longer than that without a change. I feel so bad about it!)
That's hard to answer. If you stocked correctly, 30% a week would most likely do, but if you are over stocked, (which I'm guilty of doing) you may want to do that twice a week.

You also may want to get an API test kit, or the simple test strips sold at Wal-Mart and pet stores. The API lot is better, and over time cheaper, but it takes time to test. The strips are easy, and do a decent job if you don't have a lot time.

Hope all that helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180709-153935.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	309603Attachment 309604
Old 07-09-2018, 04:51 PM   #8

There are only the three in a 10 gal so I think I'm okay on not overstocking. I just need to improve my water changing habits.

I do have an API master test kit. I'll be sure to test the water while I get things going again.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiken5968 View Post
That's hard to answer. If you stocked correctly, 30% a week would most likely do, but if you are over stocked, (which I'm guilty of doing) you may want to do that twice a week.

You also may want to get an API test kit, or the simple test strips sold at Wal-Mart and pet stores. The API lot is better, and over time cheaper, but it takes time to test. The strips are easy, and do a decent job if you don't have a lot time.

Hope all that helps.

Attachment 309603Attachment 309604
Old 07-09-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
There are only the three in a 10 gal so I think I'm okay on not overstocking. I just need to improve my water changing habits.

I do have an API master test kit. I'll be sure to test the water while I get things going again.
Thanks!
That's good to hear. Depending on the fish, you shouldn't have too big of a water change once you get it back to safe levels.

Also you may have heard of this stuff. It claimes to reduce the need for changes. I usually use it to help start a tank cycling rather than avoiding water changes, but It may be usefull in your situation. It's going to literally smell like crap, but if you're having a baby, you'll have to get use to that anyways. hahaClick image for larger version

Name:	20180708_223137.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	309605
Old 07-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

To be honest doing many small water changes is better. The clean water is the best for helping the fish heal more quickly.

If you have gravel, vac it out a few times over the next weeks, it won't be hard to see the dirty spots as you vac, focus on those, usually where you feed and the food lands.

In the long run if keeping fish and a new baby is too much, see if you can call a Petco store and they will take them in for you. It usually depends on what kind of adoption fish they already have, if there is room or not or if your fish is too sick.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cory, cory cat, fin, fins

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com