Cory curse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I can't seem to keep Cory Catfish. This last batch of 4 died in two days with all their barbells missing.

Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5

Tank cycled a year and a half ago. 1/2 planted, 55 gal, 80°, 50% water changed 2x's a week, more if newly introduced stock

I am assuming some kind of bacterial infection. Any guesses as to what and how it should be treated?

And sand substrate (CaribSea Super Natural Aquarium Substrate)

I've never kept cories but I know that they don't like high heat. They like temps from 70 to 77. And fine substrate like sand so their barbels don't wear off. Maybe if you make these changes they will make it. Good luck

I floated the bag and slowly added aquarium water over 45 minutes 'till the bag was full and then poured it out over a bucket and net. They went gently into the net and then into the aquarium.

They were active immediately on Monday when I got them, just hanging out mostly yesterday but still appeared to have their barbells, then dead this morning without their barbells.

Tankmates are 2 adult koi angelfish, 1 blue gourami, and 7 adult neon tetras.

Just that they were simply hanging out yesterday, not doing much activity like on Monday.

Maybe they were just bad stock. Not sure why their barbels would be missing. My peppered cories are tough. They've been moved from tank to tank with no problems, and survived an overdose of wormer.

In browsing Google I see that since I don't stir the sand all that much I may have had anaerobic pockets in the sand harboring bad bacteria.

If this is so, will simply storing up the sand combined with a major water change clean it out? Should I consider Melafix also?

Thanks for trouble-shooting this with me. I'll pick up some Melafix today and add the first dose then do a major stir. Hopefully this won't kill off all my BB's.

I decided against the Melafix for now as it doesn't prevent the infections only treats. I thought of applying anti-bacterials but with my 50 gal tank that will be very pricy.

So I'm stirring the sand along with a major water change. One of the Cories is still alive (with his barbells) so maybe this will help.

After checking out prices it looks like around $90 to dose my 55gal tank properly with antibiotics to cover an unknown bacteria chewing off their barbells. It might be cheaper to change out the substrate.

In addition, perhaps it's the substrate that is cutting their barbells?

Should I consider pool filter sand over Eco-complete? How do Cories do on that? Anyone try this?

Yep. Replacing the substrate is way less expensive than dosing with anti-biotics.

You usually see barbel erosion when the substrate isn't hygienic. In the days before I had a gravel vac, I used to clean substrate by agitating it with a chopstick such that it mucked up the water, and then do a dramatic water change. You might look into doing something similar with your sand. Is the tank planted?

Partially. One end is planted. I stirred up the rest of the tank and did a big water change today. The plants just got put in a few days ago so that section got stirred up.

The remaining Cory is very little. He's behaving normally.

Back
Top Bottom